Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 17, 2017, 06:26:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloated Fish - Diet Related?  (Read 2073 times)
Sarabi

Tanks: 75 Gallon schooling community (Panda Cories, Harlequin Rasboras, Gold Tetras, Praecox Rainbows); 5 Gallon (Caspian the doubletail betta, Callahan the Olive Nerite Snail, Java Fern, Anubias); 10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Species Tank (in progress)

« on: December 05, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

I've been having a problem with two of my Black Neons getting really bloated.  This is in my 75 gallon, and I've only had the 2 Black Neons affected (I also have Gold Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Panda Cories, a Honey Gourami, and a Bristlenose, all of which are fine).  This happened shortly after I started introducing frozen food to the diet.  The first food I tried them with was Freshwater Frenzy, which contains Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Cyclops, Daphnia, and Watercress.  The first instances of bloat happened right after I started feeding that.  Two Black Neons came down with very severe bloating.  The first Black Neon I treated with Epsom Salt baths with no affect.  Then I tried Methylene Blue baths, also with no affect, and the Black Neon passed away.  The second Black Neon to get this was around the same time, but it got better on it's own, and remained so for a couple of months.  I threw out the fresh water frenzy. After awhile, I purchased some frozen Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, and Glassworms and started feeding those, hoping these wouldn't have the same effect.  Now the same Black Neon as before has become bloated again.   I isolated him and treated with Epsom Salt Baths and fasting, which have helped somewhat, but he's still quite bloated after at least 10 days of Epsom Salt Baths, 15 minutes with 1 tablespoon Epsom per gallon of tank water each day.  He's become so used to baths that he's learned to voluntarily swim into the net at the end of them to get back into the tank.

Because of the timing with feeding of frozen foods, I'm thinking there is a link.  Now I'm researching more, and I've found that Bloodworms are linked with bloating.  How should I treat him, if the bloodworms have caused the problem?  Could the other frozen foods also be an issue?  Would adding more vegetable based foods help the Black Neon?  If so, what kinds would be good?  What other treatments could I try him with?  I'm thinking the Epsom Salt won't help much more, since I've been doing it for so long with little affect - not no affect, but not enough for him to look remotely normal, he's still terribly bloated. 

I also feed these foods in the 75 gallon, and have for quite a while.  For the upper/mid water fish:  Omega One Color Natural Protein Formula, TetraMin Tropical Flakes, TetraVeggie Spirulina-Enhanced Flakes (only feed this occasionally), Fluval Colormax Formula
For the bottom feeders:  Aqueon Bottom Feeder Tablets, API Bottom Feeder, TetraVeggie Algae Wafers Extreme, Fluval Multiveggie Formula

Also, I'll shortly be getting some ADFs in another tank.  Since these need a staple diet of frozen foods, I need to know what types are safe and won't cause bloat, that I could feed both to the frogs and to my fish safely.  Does anyone know some safe frozen alternatives?  Are the Brine Shrimp and Glassworms okay, or could they also cause problems?  If they aren't, what frozen foods could I replace them with?  I would like to have at least 3-4 varieties for the frogs, and it would be nice if I could feed some to my fish at the same time, if I could just find ones that wouldn't cause health issues. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation