Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2018, 11:38:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first African Dwarf Frog  (Read 9118 times)
daze

« on: January 14, 2015, 05:28:30 AM »

Not only am I a first time ADF owner but I am a brand new member to this site and to the hobby altogether so be gentle lol. I was recently in the pet store with my girlfriend and saw the most beautiful fish called a Betta A CrownTail to be exact.I felt so bad for the poor guy I pictured myself forced to live in a cup and I ended up purchasing it along with an African Dwarf Frog.Was not aware they were so moody and the guy at the LFS didn't bother to warn me he also sold me a 1.5 LED Globe Bowl and said they would be okay.Anyway I have since had them for about a week and all seems to be well the frog is happy the betta looks pissed but he tolerates the little guy my questions are how many times should I be changing the water and how much at a time also in reguards to my ADF I purchased frozen blood worms but am not to sure how many times a week to feed my Betta has its pellets and I feed everyday minus Sunday to kinda give its body a break its more the water changes how much and how often and a proper feeding schedule for the frog thankyou for any advice you offer I know its a long post but I really would like to learn
Claire
Always learning

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »

And learn you shall! jolly1

Hi.

Google how to cycle a fish tank. It's one of the most important things you can do for your fish/frog.
Invest in an API master, fresh water, test kit.
For now do daily 50% water changes, not forgetting to use a water conditioner to remove the chlorine.
With a betta in the tank you will probably have to hand feed your frog the blood worms.  I feed my betta every 2nd day.

You'll no doubt be back with more questions once you've read up on cycling a fish tank...see you then!  happy

25L Female betta
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »

Hi, Daze.  Welcome to the site!  Smiley

To give you a little assistance, I am giving you a link to how to cycle a tank.  It gives many different ways so just scroll down to the part where it tells how to do it with fish in the tank.   http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1304.0

If you are able, it would be very nice to upgrade (yes, already  Wink) to a 5 gallon tank.  That way they both will be able to get the exercise that they need.

When in doubt, do a water change.
daze

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:47:20 PM »

I wasn't aware that I could cycle a bowl and Yes upgrading is without a doubt in my future.This was an impulsive buy because I  felt bad for the beta and then once I saw that frog I fell in love and had to have it  I  wasn't very well informed about anything so thankyou for the helpful comments I will start changing water 50% Daily and now my question is will I have to re introduce my frog everytime I do this so that it doesn't go into Temperature shock? How can I avoid hurting it obviously daily water changes will be stressful and I do have a water conditioner I just don't wanna do a water change and kill it from shock I don't know much but I'm aware this guy more so then the fish is very sensitive
Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »

Try to match the temp of the new water to the temp of the bowl.  It won't matter if the temperature is off by 1 or 2 degrees.  You can mix hot and cold from your tap to get it to the right temp. 

Here are the profiles for your betta and ADF so that you can learn a little about each of them. 

Betta:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile12.html

ADF:       http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile99.html

daze

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »

Thankyou I'm looking at them now.As to feeding the frog I guess ill give it worms every other dsay to ensure he's hungry and doesn't leave extra food to rot inbetween he can always share the pellets that my betta spits out or let's drop Thankyou so much I have a lot of reading to do its very nice to meet you all and I look forward to maintaining a happy clean safe enviorment for my animals
Pat Mary

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »

You know, I have been thinking about you saying that you didn't know that a bowl could be cycled.  Anything can be cycled because "cycling" is actually getting the water ready for the fish.  But (and this is a big but) you will need a filter in order to accomplish that.  So, is there a filter in the bowl?

daze

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »

Unfortunetly not the 1.5 only came with a lid and a light I'm afraid . The LFS told me that both these animals produce little waste and disagree with strong currents which is why he pointed me to the product purchased
Pat Mary

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »

He is right about them not liking strong currents but they still need a filter.  There are plenty of filters out there that do not produce strong currents.   These are tropical creatures so, unless you live in a tropical area, they also will need a heater.

If I were in your situation, this is what I would do.  I would go out and get a 5 gallon aquarium, a heater, thermometer,  filter and light.  You can get some starter kits that have all of those things in them or you can buy them piecemeal.  Bring it home, set it up, add the fish and frog and start cycling it according to that link that I gave you.

daze

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »

5 gallons might be to big for me at the moment I currently have no space and my landlord will freak if she sees me using electric and it doesn't matter how little it is she gets on my case just for having my charger in the wall when I'm not using it. For now this is what have to work with I feel bad now because if the guy at the store told me all of this I wouldn't have disrupted what they already had going for them but for now all I can do is what I can do eventually I will be able to get out of here I'm afraid for the moment though that's just not possible.Thankyou though very much for the links above atleast will be more informed and more prepared
Pat Mary

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »

This still can be handled but will just require a little more work on your part.   Smiley

Be sure to get a liquid reagent test kit.  Test your water regularly.  Whenever you see either ammonia or nitrite, you will need to do at least a 50% water change.  You will want to keep both ammonia and nitrite as close to 0 ppm as possible because both of those are very toxic.  If you are not in a tropical area, I would wrap the bowl in a blanket at night so that the temp doesn't go down too much.  

I cannot understand a landlady being so paranoid about the electric bill that she doesn't like chargers!!

daze

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »

I will pick up the test kit tomorrow and upgrade asap I don't mind working hard this was my mistake because I should have researched before I started just watching those fish in cups and some were even just on the bottom dead I felt really bad but I will take your advice about the blanket as well and in reguards to the landlors Welcome to Ny lol Thankyou for all the time and info was very helpful
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation