Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 10:33:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green Severum mixing.  (Read 5381 times)
Keith W

« on: January 15, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »

Hi all. Long time no post for me. What are you thoughts on mixing Green Severum's with Tin Foils and Bala sharks?  I've read they are about as aggressive as angel fish. I used to have a large Angel  Sad so I'm aware of the attitudes they can get. Its not so bad. I've seen ph recommendations at 6.0-6.5 and 6.0-7.5. My tank is at 7 and through the years folks have always said most fish will adapt. If 6.5 is the limit, it's close and I don't think the ph will be a concern.

I still have my same 120G wide fish tank.

Current stock.
1 Old large Gold Tin Foil
1 Old large Bala Shark
1 Ancient Pleco (~12yrs old / ~20") I've had this guy since day 1 and it has lived through my learning experiences.   Smiley
1 Old YoYo
1 fat clown barb. (He's a pig and probably eats as much as a 10" tinfoil  proud)

I thought about adding a 2-3 more TinFoils and possibly 2 green severum's. Not all at the same time, but generally over the next 1-4 months.

I'm kind of ready for another type of larger fish, but I still love Tinfoils and Bala's.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »

I don't keep any of these species but am giving my opinions on what I have learned over the years.  Tin Foils, Balas, YoYo's and Clown Barbs are all schooling fish.  I realize that most of yours are older fish but none are in a school (6 or more, preferably more).  If you decide to start a school of any of them, it has to be more than 2 or 3. 

Tin Foils like water with a good current.  The Severum prefers water that is more still.  If you decide to go that route, Try to set the tank up with a quiet area and then an area with more active water. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Keith W

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »

Good points.

Yeah I hear ya about the schools. This is an old tank with old fish and I'm considering the restock. Bala's and Tinfoils school great together, hence the reason I was thinking about adding 3 more Tinfoils.

For waterflow, my tank probably already meats those requirements. I have two canister filters and the outputs keep the top volume of water moving. I also have a fair amount of driftwood  placed to create caverns, hiding places, and walls near the one side and back of the tank; that would provide the slow areas. As well, since my tank is a 120G wide, that means its 2 feet deep.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »

Welcome back,

I'm going to recommend something that is out of the standard aquarium box. My recommendation for your tank situation is to add that Severum, but no other fish at this time. I think this will 'fit' your tank and where your tank is at this time. Your other fish are aged and larger than the available pet shop fare, plus why change something that has been working. Do that slight change in your tank. I think from how you described your fish and tank set up that this may work fine for you. Be a disciplined hobbyist. I'm guessing your interested in something different with more variety. That can be acquired and adapted over time.  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 215 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »

Thank you, Russ.  I was thinking in those terms but hesitated to suggest it because of the schooling thing.  Thanks for that idea.   Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »

happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Keith W

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:35 AM »

Hi Russ. Long time no chat. Hope you are well.

Thanks for the info folks. Sounds like the green severum's can fit into my setup.

One day/year/decade... kewl  I plan to upgrade to something around 200g. I really want a 300g aquarium but life's priorities keep getting in my way to save up the cash. I could have some stunning schools of fish with that.

russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »

"I really want a 300g aquarium but life's priorities keep getting in my way to save up the cash. I could have some stunning schools of fish with that".

Without a doubt   happy

(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's