Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Rams in "community" tank?  (Read 3913 times)
cmoorewv

« on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:33 PM »

Hi. I'm new here and I realize this might fit into several categories but I'll start here. I have a 55 gallon tank that has been in operation for years. It has had its ups and downs, I will admit, as far as water quality. It's good right now and I hope to keep it that way. I currently have 4 rosy barbs, 2 albino cory cats and 1 pepper cory. I do intend to add a couple more rosy's and at least one more pepper for their own security. pH is 6.5, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are good but I'm not sure of the hardness/softness at the moment. Long story, but might I be able to put a couple of blue or yellow ram cichlids in also? Or Kribs maybe? I read varying accounts of compatibility between barbs, cory's, and so called peaceful cichlids. If this won't work, can anybody steer me towards colorful fish that will round out the top and bottom levels of my tank. Ideally, I need hardy fish. I've had a lot of luck with rosy barbs and my albino cory cats, but not much else. Neons don't ladt long and danios haven't historically done well for me either.
Thanks for listening!
cmoorewv
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:20 PM »

Hi and welcome aboard,

A 55 gallon aquarium is a nice size tank for what you are considering. In my humble opinion, I would opt for the Kribensis over the Rams. I also think that the Kribs will be a 'hardier' fish in your current tank situation.

It was my pleasure listening. Go ahead and head down to the off topic board intro thread and say hi to everyone  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 272 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
cmoorewv

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:27 PM »

Thanks. The main reason my tank has had problems occasionally is my fault. I've learned the hard way I can't skimp on water changes even with an under stocked tank. But for whatever reason, neons don't do well for me. Ever. Which is a shame becaus is they're colorful, small, and dwell up top. I will look into the kribensis once I'm sure adding another barb or two and a pepper cory goes smoothly.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:03 AM »

Sounds like a plan  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
mchambers

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »

Rams generally need warmer water, but peppered corys like it cool.  Kribs prefer cooler water, so they'd be a better fit with the cory.
cmoorewv

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:46 PM »

After some thought I have decided to scrub the plans to add the cichlids. I think they're beautiful but I don't want to chance the catfish being beaten up. Maybe a species tank for cichlids down the road would be better. For now I think I'm just going to add another couple cory cats and increase my barbs to a proper school. My tank generally stays at least 76 degrees but the rosy barbs and corys both seem to do ok. Room temp, especially in the winter, can run 76-78. Another thought-would a school of 12 barbs-6 rosys and 6 rubies plus 4-6 Cory cats be too much for a 55 gal with plenty of water changes? They all seem to have the same general requirements.
cannsyl

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »

I think that 12 barbs (6 and 6) plus 6 cories would work.  You should probably pick either the albino or the peppered cory to make a school as they won't really hang out together (in my experience) and they need to be in groups of their own.  Reading about Ruby barbs they sound a little more difficult to keep they like lots of live plants and 6 is the absolute minimum...ideally they would prefer a bigger school.  I might suggest keeping one group of the corys, the rosy barb school, and maybe add a school of 8-10 zebra danios...they are fun to watch and then you will have fish that are on all levels of your tank and won't compete for space....just an idea.
cmoorewv

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »

I was going to maybe add one more pepper cory at least.  I know two apiece aren't proper "schools" but the two albinos do hang together while the pepper stays by itself. I want to have groups of three at some point but I want to increase numbers gradually. I haven't generally had much luck keeping danios in the past by it may have been new tank syndrome killing them. I like the idea of groupings at all three levels though. Ideally I'd like to add more color.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation