Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 21, 2019, 12:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glofish  (Read 2742 times)
cmoorewv

« on: January 28, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »

I think I have found a good compromise to my wanting to add to my tank- without giving up my desire for more color while not upsetting he balance too much  I had been considering a South American cichlid species but decided against it due to possible aggression issues.  Danios were a good suggestion, but I wanted something a little more colorful.  I believe I will slightly increase the size of my rosy barb school from 4 to 6; add a pepper cory to end up with 2 albino corys and 2 pepper; and add a school of danios in the glofish variety.  My tank as it stands now-4 rosy barbs, 2 slbino corys, and 1 pepper cory.  The tank is 55 gallons, pH 6.5, nitrates/nitrites/ammonia all ok, temp 76-78 range (doesn't fluctuate, but I need a digital thermometer.  Currently have a strip thermometer). The pH is slightly low for danios from what I have read, but I also read that they are pretty adaptable.  And I will have to work out a way to add some blacklighting in the evening for effect.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how many fish to add at a time, or knows of a reason why this will not work, please let me know.  I've gotten good points to ponder in my short time here already.  Thanks!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »

Schooling fish need to be housed in schools.  The smaller the fish, the larger the number of fish needed to make a school.

Corries and barbs are schooling fish.  You need to have at least 6 of EACH species to house them properly.

Danios are also a schooling species, but they are really small, I wouldn't keep anything under 8 of them and maybe 10-12 would be better.  Double check to make sure you are meeting the needs of each species you are trying to house.

Schooling fish kept in small numbers are constantly stressed and are prone to almost every illness and behavior problem you can imagine.  All of which can be avoided by housing them in schools.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
cmoorewv

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »

Point taken. That's why I'm asking around. I want to have them in the proper groupings but I don't want to put too many in at once. I had 12 Rosie's but they eventually died off to three. I added two and lost one bringing me back to having four. Sort of the same with the corries. The glofish will come later once the others are established properly. I don't think it would be good to put 12 more fish in a tank that has been home to only 6.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »

I would buy additions to complete a school at a time.  so for instance, get 4 albino cory's and put them into QT.  Hold for 6 weeks and then add them to the show tank.  Get 5 peppered cory's and put them into QT.  Watch your 55 for ammonia spikes and do water changes as necessary.  Then, after another 6 weeks, move the peppered cory's to the 55 and add 2 rosy barbs to the QT and so on.

You get the idea.  If you think that adding 4 or 5 fish is too much, add a couple at a time from the QT tank.  That way there are probably not going to be any spikes in ammonia. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's