This is an announcment. Please respond in the Off Topic Board under Members Only thread. Thank you.
Sorry, I am a little late on getting this out and figuring which forum board to make this announcement. Bottom line is that there has been recent interest in adding some enhancements to our site. This has further developed from a thread in one of our forums, titled “Where is Everybody”.
Pat and I would like to solicit ideas and suggestions from our members and site staff on what they like about the site and what they do not like about the site. Don’t judge your thoughts on just forum participation. Examples (not all inclusive) are listed below:
1. Accuracy and correctness of information in all the various fish and product stats
2. New and/or updated aquarium articles (Bunny and a few others have been trying to keep up)
3. Forum categories. What should stay, what should be condensed and what has little relevance to the hobby. Is there anything that should be changed in any of the forum sub-categories?
4. How can we enhance the site to be even more inter active.
5. Site home page. Is it inviting enough to spark interest?
6. For new or perspective members first entering the site and forum, are the guidelines and rules sufficiently explained? Too absolute? Not easily interpreted? How about the chat guidelines?
7. What about our chat options. Is it easy enough to enter? What are your ideas on chat participation?
8. Would you like to participate in or present a formal chat presentation? If so, how often do you think we should have one? Weekly, bi-weekly or once a month.
9. The site and forum members are an international community. Outside of our chat option, information on the site is static and information exchanged in our forum is passive. Aquariology is almost like music; an international language. Are there other suggestions on how we may best cater to best cater to the needs of new and existing international members?
10. Stickys and other do-dad icons on the site and forum. Does everyone understand them?
OK, here is where I get into my pep talk………… The site will not be going through a 100% total remake. What we will be doing is enhancing it. I am requesting your assistance (and participation) for enhancements like the examples indicated above. I will also be asking for volunteers that may have a unique knowledge and/or skill in a particular area of the hobby for some technical assistance in their respective area(s).
Hmm, that wasn’t much of a pep talk. How about I paraphrase some Steve Jobs………….
“We need to be a yardstick of quality. Some hobbyists are not used to an environment where excellence rules. “We can’t be perfect, but we can be most excellent.
“Our goal is to be the best, not the biggest” aquarium site.
And remember…. “Deciding what not to do is just as important as deciding what to do”.