Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 28, 2017, 12:31:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not so "aquatic" fern  (Read 3835 times)
cmoorewv

« on: February 06, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »

Well, I decided to try my hand at a couple of live plants in my 55 gallon tank. Now home to 6 rosy barbs and 4 cory cats. I bought a couple of those tubed plants at petco. I was looking them up as I was shopping and still grabbed the wrong one. I got one called an asian waterfern, Bolbitus heteroclita, and a Java fern. Once I put them in the tank I looked up the water fern again and lo and behold, it isn't truly aquatic.  lazyboy
I anchored them both to the driftwood in the tank, and I'll hope for the best. The Java, from what I've read shouldn't be too hard to keep alive. The Asian fern is a little dicier. Mixed reviews on its ability to grow submerged. Anybody have any luck with it? I'm really hoping they survive. The fish seem to appreciate a non plastic plant.
steffelem

Tanks: 55 gal w/neons & pepper corries, 33 gal w/ rasboras & danios, 20 gal w/ dwarf puffer, 135 gal not yet filled.

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »

this is what I found on a site called "The planted tank":

I have grown B heteroclita for a while know an it is a prolific grower, just not submersed. It is a marginal plant and not really even a reophyte like a lot of other aquatic ferns are. It will handle being submersed for short periods but not for long periods. In high humidity terrariums or emersed setups it grows like crazy which is probably why Petco sells it in the tubes (for those that didn't know very few aquarium plants seen at pet stores are grown submersed most are emersed grown).

Although another member on the site said he did immerse his, it took 8 months before he saw any new growth on it. 

Good luck with yours! Glad the fish like the live plants.
cmoorewv

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »

I'm almost wondering if I should bring it up out of the water and let the leaves poke out the hole cut out for the power filter. That way the roots will still be in water but the leaves out. I had a Homer Simpson doh! moment with that one. I had planned to buy something else and bought the wrong one anyway.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 03:52:13 PM »

Even I have a T-shirt for that one  Wink

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
cmoorewv

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 11:59:03 PM »

Revisiting my old thread with an update. The African fern I bought by mistake is actually doing quite well. It's pretty slow growing, but it has several daughter plants budding off established leaves now. At some point I plan to snip and replant them. I want them to get some size on them first, though. I am not using CO2 or fertilizer and my lighting is pretty subdued. I also have a thicket of water wisteria floating in there that seems to shade the ferns. They seem to like it that way. In addition to the African fern, I have several java ferns that routinely bud babies ad well. I'm actually surprised I've had success. Happy, too.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »

Nothing like plants that produce   happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Gregg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 09:58:45 AM »

I bought a tube plant, bolbitus heudelotti and it was sold as "an aquarium plant" as best I remember. Big mistake. I knew ob B. heteroclita and thought that is what I bought.  After learning of my mistake I took it back, after already having it in the tank, and they gave me my money back. It seems that the labeling was misleading in my mind. Speaking of tube plants the best I've used are from top fin and are their java fern, a windelov is doing very well.

Gregg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's