Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 22, 2019, 12:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: smaller Serpae Tetra  (Read 1905 times)
Cyneah

« on: February 07, 2015, 06:58:14 AM »

I have a 75 gallon tank.  It has been cycled with good water quality.  0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20-40 Nitrates.  I do 50 percent water changes weekly while gently vacuuming the gravel.  I feed twice daily Omega One flake food and Omego one veggie pellets.  Once in awhile I give them a treat of blood worms or frozen shrimp.
I have 9 Serpae Tetras in the community tank.  All of them are doing great with good red color. I have had these for a few months.  There is one that is smaller and lighter than the rest. I figured he was lighter because he was the low man on the totem pole.  I'm concerned that he doesn't seem to be growing at all.  I watch him and he eats, he is not getting picked on by the other fish.  Should I be concerned?  Are they very slow growing fish? 
Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.
Cindy
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »

Hi Cindy,

It seems like you are doing a great job with your aquarium and the critters inside. That said, your Serpaes are not really in any slow-growing category of fishes. Perhaps the smaller one has a physiology issue that separates it slightly from the others. It happens. If the smaller one is eating and schooling with the others and not getting picked on or bullied, I would not be too concerned. Continue to maintain your tank as you have been and observe the smaller one for any significant change.  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 225 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Cyneah

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »

Thank you Russ! I'll watch him closely.
Cundy
Cyneah

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:16:41 AM »

I've been watching my little Serpae closely.  Here is what I have been observing..... Last night at feeding time, he was amongst the community actively going after food.  His dorsal fin looks a bit stunted to me.  Maybe because he is smaller and it looks smaller, I'm not sure, his caudil (sp?) or tail fin looks good.  This morning when I turned on the light he was in the left corner of the tank, hanging out and did not come out to get the food, he hung back and caught food coming to him. A couple of other Serpaes went over to him, and the spunky guy chased them away, quite aggressively.  He's never really played in the Serpae game of (excuse the expression) "grab ass".  I didn't get concerned, because he is the smallest and wouldn't win that game. 
I'm no expert on fish deceases but he physically looks ok, other than his light color, stunted dorsal fin and small size.  (Typing that, I thought "oxymoron")
I just went to check on him, he is still in his "territory" chasing any other Serpaes away. I might be reading too much into this, but it appears the other Serpaes want him included.   Maybe he is a bit different physiologically, time will tell.   I need to come up with a good name for him, any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation