Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2017, 02:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fruits and Vegs  (Read 10689 times)
ay4667

« on: February 17, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »

I did not see this topic for this so thought i would just ask here.  What are some suggestions for feeding fishes frozed food and fruits and vegs.  I gave my denison barbs and swordtails frozen blood worms that i thawed first.  I know that bloodworms can be considered a treat and i am thinking of giving them one cube a week on different days.  I also saw where it says to give fresh fruit and veg to the fishes.  I have no experience in that area and am looking for some advice i want to make sure that the fishes have a good balance diet and want to do everything i can to make sure that they get that.  any help or links will be greatly appreciated.  also is there much of a difference between frozen bloodworms and live ones.  I have not seen the live ones at my LFS  I am in Dallas tx if anybody knows where to get live bloodworms and if they are easier to deal with then frozen.

Thank you
AY4667
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »

For starters, you could give romaine lettuce, cucumbers, peas, spinach and zucchini.  For fruit, try melon.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »

Use a fork to sink things down.  Cut a grape in half, run the fork tines down the skin side and sink half a grape into the tank.  The fish will poke at it.  Throw it out after 24 hours. I tossed the end of a cucumber into my tank this morning.  It is getting nibbled on by giant danios, Buenos ares tetras and a small pleco right now.  I think all fish will eat peas too.

My big pleco gets an entire zucchini once a week.  And trust me, I don't have to remove an uneaten part.  My pacu eat cherries, grapes, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and broccoli.  My bigger snails get spinach, red leaf lettuce, cucumber and zucchini.  Watermelon, pumpkin and cantaloupe are seasonal favorites in my tanks too.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
ay4667

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »

confused ok so there is nothing especial i need to do except blanch the greens right.  I have tons of spanich in the freezer for my daughters soup its shred in to stripes to make it easier to handel i can just take a strip out when i blanch boil it cool it and just give them that right.   RIght now i am looking to probaly do one day fish flake and the next day vegs and fruit like spinich in the morning and then fruit a half grape in evening or would that be wrong.  I am trying to figure out a good diet plan for the fishes to get the best health and color.  I know that i need the blood worms for the color as they are said to make that stand out.  The blood worms would be a treat once a week  or would you recommend more then once a week.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »

I don't blanch anything.  I just put stuff in fresh.

The only link between the color of your fish and the food they eat is that a healthy fish will show its natural colors more vibrantly than a not healthy fish.  Diet is important to health, but so is a proper living environment.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »

We did not really blanch our fish veggies either. Well, all we really did was to pour the hot water over them just to get the initial stiffness off. We used one of those plastic feeders with slits and a suction cup. Had to fashion a wire hanger though because the cup did not hold for those aggressive feeders.

I would like to add two cautions at this point. I say this only at this point for the type of fishes that you have at the moment. I would really use some kind of feeder device to feed your leafy veggies rather than sinking it to the bottom. Feeding every other day sounds good.

Second, I recommend leaving the (fresh) carbon in your filter when and a little bit after feeding these veggies and fruits. There will be extra organics imparted into the water and the type that will best be served by the carbon to adsorb. You don't need to keep the carbon in all the time and it will be useful for a several feedings before needing to be replaced.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Aquatot

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tanks: 2 g shrimp-only, 5 g, 20 g, 55 g, and 150 g

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »

I second everything that's been said, with the exception of blanching. Most veggies I throw in fresh, but I do blanch broccoli and brussels sprouts. They're a little tough otherwise, and all my fish love to nibble on them. I also have an incredibly fussy clown pleco who rejects everything my other plecos love (like zucchini and cucumber), but loves broccoli. I feed him chunks of the stem rather than the florets. However, being the picky eater he is, I've discovered he prefers it blanched to raw. So I usually cut extra for the fish when we're having it for dinner, throw it all in the steamer, and pick out their bits before adding any seasoning or butter to ours.

A fish is for life; not just for Christmas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan's our man! Always was, always will be.
ay4667

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

Karen,

I tried the grape last night I usally feed the fishes at night since i the morning i am busy trying to get to work and get daughter ready.  so last night before bed i put half of a grape in the tank i actually removed the skin prior to putting it in the tank and this morning it was gone searched the entire tank and i did not see it.  are there other fruits i can try dont really want to try the leafy green right now based on all the reading.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »

LOL they liked the grapes!  Great.  How about a cherry tomato?

My pacu eat bananas, but my pacu are huge.  They eat the peel and the banana.  I doubt your fish are big enough to eat a banana peel and I am not sure how you would sink a piece of banana without a peel on it.  Maybe a slice of Banana done right through the peel.

michaelvhillard

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 04:53:04 AM »

I used it all fresh, no blanch, nothing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation