Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 28, 2017, 03:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about cleaning canister filters  (Read 3053 times)
cichlidlover

United States United States

« on: March 12, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »

Hello all!! I am purchasing a fluval fx6 for my son's birthday, to put on his 156g South American cichlid tank. How often should he expect to take it apart and clean it? He and I know the beneficial bacteria live in filter media, but at the same time filter sponges and such need the poo and yuck rinsed off with regularity. Any suggestions for him? I dont want him to wait too long, or clean it too much lol! Thanks fellow fish lovers! Right now he has a slew of hbo filters trying to keep up with the tank.
mchambers

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »

My view is that you clean a canister when its flow rate decreases significantly.  For my filters, that's about every 4-6 months.  But a heavily stocked tank will need cleanings more often.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:33:02 AM »

I have an FX5 on my 450 gallon pacu tank.  Its one of 4 filters on the tank, and is probably the second most important part of my filtration.  Pacu= aquatic elephant.  The amount of poo that comes out of those things is flat out scary!  I joke and say they drop bombs big enough that I can hear them hitting the bottom of the tank.

So with that in mind... VERY heavily stocked tank, but VERY heavily filtered.....

I have to tear my FX5 apart and clean it at least once a month and every 3 weeks might be more accurate.  I can hear it backing up when it needs to be cleaned.  Its so powerful that it actually degasses the water!  When the poo inside causes enough strain on the pumps the pressure is sufficient to cause the water to degass and I can hear the air moving in it.

Do NOT buy the foam filter pads with a Fluval label on them.  You can get them straight from the manufacturer on E-bay for about 1/5th the cost.  The only difference is the packaging.  The manufacturer just puts plain white plastic and an address around the sponges before shipping them.  The seller is called Zannyzap.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Keith W

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »

I typically clean my canisters every 3 months. But I agree, if your aquarium is more heavily loaded and if they are too dirty in 3 or months months, then try 1-2 month intervals.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation