Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 10:37:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tank in ruins.  (Read 6538 times)
Dylan

Tanks: 10g shrimp tank, 29g community, and 46g bowfront currently being stocked

« on: May 02, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »

Hey y'all. I haven't really been active lately, but I've got a serious problem. I posted a while back about the 29 having an algae outbreak. Well to be honest, I was just lazy and I got way out of hand. I  literally don't have any plants that are alive anymore. There are 2 types of algae infesting the tank: hair algae (at least I think that's what it is), and BBA.

I have checked GH, KH and Nitrates. I'll have to post those levels tomorrow as I'm currently on vacation. As far as I can remember, they were all normal. I have changed the bulbs in my fixture as well.  In the mean time, Here's some pics. The first is the tank overall, the second is the hair algae that's covering the back wall, and the third is the BBA on my driftwood. Thanks for the help in advance.

* DSC_0326 (640x424).jpg (212.16 KB, 640x424 - viewed 264 times.)

aquariums are my only medication wishin\' my condition ain\'t ever gonna go away.
Dylan

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »

Here's the other 2:

* DSC_0327 (640x424).jpg (191.52 KB, 640x424 - viewed 262 times.)

* DSC_0330 (640x424) (2).jpg (192.05 KB, 640x424 - viewed 255 times.)

aquariums are my only medication wishin\' my condition ain\'t ever gonna go away.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »

Sorry about your tank, Dylan.  That could drive a person crazy!  nutso

Here is a link to a thread about BBA that may give you some ideas.   http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=33631.0

Gook luck!

When in doubt, do a water change.
christos

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »

You probably won't appreciate me saying it, but it does look very true to nature. How long are you leaving the lights on for? Leaving them on for too long a period will do that to a tank, and if the bulbs are old and have dipped in output that won't help either. Do more frequent water changes to get the nitrates down as well.   happy
Dylan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »

Lights are on for about 6 hrs a day, and I replaced the bulbs less than a month ago. Something interesting showed up in the water test today, though. Nitrates were around 5 ppm before water change. The water in the tube (API test kit) was completely yellow and its usually orange. COuld the algae be causing low nitrates??  confused KH and GH were both at normal levels.

I'm thinking I'll start treating with flourish excel. Do you think it would help to add some plants since there aren't any left now or should I wait until the algae stops? Thanks.

Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »

Seeing that you no longer have any plants, if this were my tank I would clean it out and start over with no algae in there.  The fish would be all right in a bucket during the cleaning process.  Then, once the tank is clean, add plants and then put the fish back into the aquarium.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »

Yup remove everything and give it a big clean..... Iv also been lazy with my tank and its full of algae  proud.

Once its spotless add new plants.. keep on top of water changes and you wont have any issues lol

Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »

I'm talking major clean with bleach and all (everything needs very good rinse after)..... have you another holding tank for filter and fish while you clean it?

Keith W

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »

What are your ammon, nitrite, levels? Are you using a liquid regent kit?

Smiley You have to be careful removing fish from an environment like this and starting over from scratch. Read about old tank syndrome. You can stress your fish out and they can get sick,  because its too much of a  change at once. If this were my tank, I would do partial water changes 20-30% twice a week for about 2 wks. Then do 3-4 weeks of 50% weekly water changes. You can give the tank a good scrub with a sponge or whatever you choose during the first couple water changes. Remove the ornaments and clean manually with a good brush, leave the substrate and plants.  You will notice a good change in water and tank condition after 5 weeks or so and your fish should not be impacted or stressed out. Get yourself back on a 50% weekly water change.

Be sure to clean you bio filter media in a bucket of tank water. Chlorine from the tap could kill what good bacteria you have.

After your tank is stable and clean you can change whatever you want.

Recently I have used Seachem Flourish Excel to drastically reduce BBA in my aquarium over about a 3 month period. Its not 100% gone, but it is a good 90-95% less than it was. (I had hair flowing from my filter outlets, but not no more) I don't mind some algae because it looks natural. For you, I wouldn't suggest this until after have got back on a good maintenance schedule and you determine you still have problems.

Dylan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »

ok so with a full cleanout, what would I do with the sand? would I just scoop it out and then add it back when I'm done?

Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:27:52 AM »

It would be difficult to get everything cleaned out from the sand, I would invest in new substrate if you have algae going through the sand. If it makes you feel a bit better, I just recently discovered some black beard algae on a piece of driftwood I added about 6 months ago, guess I'll be doing a bigger than usual tank-clean-up as well!

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Jools253

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 07:42:26 AM »

Anything removable from the tank can be sprayed with hydrogen peroxide to kill off the algae even BBA.  You can dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide to inhibit it coming back aswell but i'd recommend doing further research on that before trying it as overdoing it can potentially be harmful to certain sensitive species such as Otos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation