Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2017, 02:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanting to go to canister filter on 75g and stinky tank.  (Read 1985 times)
verna2197

« on: May 02, 2015, 11:43:19 AM »

I have a 75g with 6 angels, 2 silver dollars 1 shark and 1 plecostumus. ? not sure of spelling) I also have a Mainland 400 filter, I hate it. Its noisy and I just don't think it does the job that I want it too. I am wanting a exterior canister filter that is quiet and will do the job. I don't have a lot of money to spend but am willing to do some sacrificing to get it.
Have also noticed my tank stinks, just cleaned it not to long ago and within no time at all it started stinking. My DH thinks it the brand of food that I feed them, cause you open the container and that stinks too.

Would appreciate any and all feedback please.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »

I don't use a canister so will let others talk with you about that.  I do know that the Marineland 400 is a good filter, though.  If it is too noisy, raise the water level so that the water returning to the tank doesn't have to fall far.  That will reduce the noise level drastically.  How often do you change the cartridge in it?  If you feel that the filter is not doing its job, maybe the cartridges are too dirty.  Also, how often do you do water changes and vacuum the gravel?  Doing that at least once a week will reduce the smell.

Your Silver Dollars should be in a group of at least 6 individuals because they are a schooling fish.  They also eat plants so watch for that.  Here is their profile:       http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile23.html

When in doubt, do a water change.
mchambers

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »

A good canister will be quieter than most HOB filters.  I agree that your current filter should be adequate for the tank, however. 

An Eheim 2217 would be great for that tank.  All of my Eheims are completely quiet.  Sometimes you can find them used on craigslist.
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »

What is a DH?
Most fish food smells pretty nasty.  My luck the fish food my fish loves is just foul smelling.
And what Pat Mary said about Marineland filters.   
mchambers

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »

Designated hitter?
verna2197

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »

Sorry DH is dear husband its not the water falling that is noisy, its the wheel filters inside just cant stand them. I purchased a different brand of fish food and yes it does smell. Marineland may be good i just dont like it.
Will check out that filter mchambers also was going to check out Aqua Top Sundun Rena Filstar Tru Aqua. Just not sure which is the best though

Thank you everyone for your input

verna2197

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »

Went with the SunSun hw303b, just got it installed today,love how quiet it is, hate how hard it is to prime. Not to crazy about the setup for the intake and out take, pretty cheap there. So far so good right now.
Will let you know in a few weeks how its doing,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's