Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 17, 2017, 06:29:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Algae  (Read 2888 times)
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »

Hi all,

Annoyed with myself as not been maintaining my minnow tank properly due to starting work and just being shattered afterwards (working at a stables so physical work that I'm no longer used to).
So, have had a massive algae growth.

Have done a 65-75% WC (roughly); removed artificial plants, scrubbed and left to dry; anubias has been wiped over in bucket of tank water; sponges on the filters cleaned in bucket of tank water and scraped all four sides of tank (before removing water so sucked up all the algae from that). Tank is now currently blacked out with a towel over it and I plan on not feeding fish for week to try and kill off algae.

Anything else I can do? I was actually hoping to get a small LED light for the plants and improving viewing (with 3 sides of tank with black card over to prevent too much sunlight getting in).

I also found a dead shrimp (boo), not sure if it died because of the algae growth taking out oxygen or anything else. Unfortunately, I think my test kits are out of date so not too sure about using them.

Otherwise, the minnows are all looking great. Every morning they've been all gathered at the top for their breakfast.

Note to self, have Billy standards for this tank  Angry
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

Sounds like you are doing all you can. With the blackout and some large volume water changes you should be good. Also go ahead and feed the fish. THe light is the big factor.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »

It hasn't come back so far. LED light is on and no signs of further algae growth.
Going to do another water change tomorrow Smiley . They had two last week.
michaelvhillard

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:51:00 AM »

You have to change it as quickly as possible.
Jools253

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »

Anything you can take out of the tank spray with hydrogen peroxide and then scrub it off after its finished bubbling.  The peroxide will kill the algae dead giving you a clean slate.  It leaves no chemical residues as it splits up into water and oxygen which is how it kills algae by oxidising it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation