Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 22, 2019, 05:53:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I Believe in Myths Concerning Goldfish?  (Read 2659 times)
Pat Mary

United States United States

« on: May 22, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »

I really have never kept goldfish (except for the proverbial carnival fish in a bowl) so am certainly not an expert.  But, I have tried to learn about them through this forum so that I could answer questions from people who asked for help here.  A question came up recently concerning the temp that they should be kept in.  I thought the answer would be a cooler temp.  But, someone with plenty of knowledge said that the fancy goldfish should not be kept in a cold water tank.  That just about knocked me off of my feet.

Some people (including me) give information as though it were Gospel.  I want to apologize to anyone to whom I gave misinformation.  I have learned a lesson.  No longer will I just spew what I think I know.  I will research before I give an answer.  It doesn't really matter if I learned something here if what I learned was wrong.  We should be giving the best answers that we can.  Not what we think we know.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:49:24 AM »

Well when i say cold water i mean in a room without a heater =D. The temperature depends on your heating, season and what country you live in lol.

I think fancy goldfish are in the not too hot and not too cold region lol......

I think ideal temperatures are (correct me if im wrong) 10-12 degress in winter and 20-23 degrees in summer.

They shouldnt be kept at a constant 27-30 degress or 16 degrees and under.....

So yeah in some countries with extreme weather (or if you room is cold) you might need a heater for your deformed fancy goldfish  proud.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:54:32 AM by Spuds » Logged

BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:26:02 AM »

Don't beat yourself up over this Pat.  You give good sound advise.  The problem is, that with many things related to this hobby, there is often no definitive answer as there are too many outside factors.

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »

I agree with Dennis. Pat, don't worry about it. There are many variables. The only thing that is 100% certain is that our fish must remain clean, fed and wet  proud

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »

Wait wet??? Seriously... Like all the time? Cause like I take fluffy out of his tank everyday for his walk, he likes to play with the neighborhood cats, and as long as he is back in his tank and a bit slimy still he always recovers fine, just floatin and bobbin.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
jerryfox

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »

I really have never kept goldfish (except for the proverbial carnival fish in a bowl) so am certainly not an expert.  But, I have tried to learn about them through this forum so that I could answer questions from people who asked for help here.  A question came up recently concerning the temp that they should be kept in.  I thought the answer would be a cooler temp.  But, someone with plenty of knowledge said that the fancy goldfish should not be kept in a cold water tank.  That just about knocked me off of my feet.

Some people (including me) give information as though it were Gospel.  I want to apologize to anyone to whom I gave misinformation.  I have learned a lesson.  No longer will I just spew what I think I know.  I will research before I give an answer.  It doesn't really matter if I learned something here if what I learned was wrong.  We should be giving the best answers that we can.  Not what we think we know.
No one in life is perfect.You give great responses back to members here and are very helpful including myself which i am really a novice at this field.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »

Yep. Clean, fed and wet, but still no guarantee that they can swim in a straight line for more than 6 inches  lol

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's