Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: celestial pearl danios stressed?  (Read 2629 times)
cmoorewv

« on: June 02, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »

After cycling a planted 20 long for about six weeks, I picked up some CPDS from the LFS. They only had 4 left and don't get them often, so I took the plunge. They warned me they weren't extremely hardy. I lost one after about 24 hours and another today-48 hrs. This question isn't so much about disease-I suspect they are stressed and possibly infected with ich. The good news, if there is any, is that they are in a tank of their own. My remaining two look ok - active at least. If the remaining two survive, should I order some more? I'm concerned that they like to shoal and two don't make much of a shoal. I'm going to make sure these two make it first though. Anybody here have a lot of experience with them? I saw at least one member breeds them. If the two remaining die I may try an easier species. I have a lot of experience with barbs, but never had luck with danios or neons.  A 20 Long sort of narrows my options. Any helpful hints on CPDs would be great. Ammonia is 0, nitrates 0, nitrates at safe level, pH around 7, hardness and alkalinity are in the middle of 5he scale. Ammonia checked with API liquid kit, rest done with a test strip.
Thanks.
Cyneah

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:48:57 AM »

I don't have any experience with the CPDS.  I seriously considered getting them when setting up my planted 29.  They do like to be in a large school.  Knowing that. and the difficulty finding them I chose neons instead. 
Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.
Cindy
BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »

If they are infected with ich, raise the tank temperature enough to get rid of that problem.  Other wise they prefer cool water.  I keep mine in unheated tanks and have had them spawn in tanks as cool as 62F.

If they are wild caught, you may need to start offering them some live foods to bring them around.  They also prefer to eat at the lower levels of the tank.  Sinking foods work best, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, etc.

Best of luck with them!

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
Billabong

Bahrain Bahrain

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »

Sometimes I want to give more information on the subject. And wanted to chat.
essabee
Hammer & Spade

Tanks: 1x20g, 3x30g, 2x60g, 1x145g, 1x270g; all planted

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:33 AM »

Once you have got rid of the itch, add to their numbers. They do like it better if they are in numbers and have a lot of bushy plant cover to hide in. That will make it more difficult to view them for quite some time but then you will end up finding that you have more of them than you put into that tank and they are no more easy to locate. Shy fishes these and they take months to come to term with their tanks but once they have fry swimming with them they gain the boldness to show themselves.

If you are mad; remember I am madder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's