Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2017, 02:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sealing a 125 gallon tank  (Read 7198 times)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« on: June 11, 2015, 09:04:22 AM »

The 125 I have at school sprung a leak a week ago.

I drained, cleaned and scraped it down.  I did all the prep work, but a colleague did the silicone work to reseal it.

It sat for 48 hours, and I tried to put about an inch of water in it.... nope it still leaks.

I was not able to find an exact spot where it was leaking before, but this does seem to be the same neighborhood.  Now what do I do?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »

Just some thoughts.  According to Gomez's article on resealing, 48 hours isn't long enough to cure the silicone.  Did your colleague keep a bead of it for you to test?  Does it look as though the job was done completely or are there some places that the silicone doesn't look like it was applied thickly enough?   

When in doubt, do a water change.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

I made a bead of the width in the tank to test and one about 4x bigger because I was being silly and making giant see-through caterpillars.  Even the big caterpillars are hard all the way through.  Yes it looks like he did a good job.

A further indication that the silicone was ready...I could put my head inside the tank and couldn't smell it at all!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Well, if it is still leaking, the silicone didn't cover the leak spot.  I would look it over again, with a magnifying glass if I needed to.  Are there any nicks or chips in the glass at all?

Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:47:17 PM »

How about the frame?  Are there any spots that the frame has eroded?

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »

If the corner of any frame trim is cracked, it will cause the silicone to stretch when the glass bows sightly from the water pressure. When the silicone stretches past a weaker area of the application, it offer an opening however slight. Also check for tiny air bubbles in the beads. That combo of a cracked frame trim corner and air bubble in a weak bead is a sure-fire leak opportunity. All-glass aquariums are held together by 50% concept and 50% material strength. Some brands are manufactured better than others. I still haven't found a company that had mass produced the absolute best aquariums other than Oceanic.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »

I have the tank dry again, and I am planning to cut out the area where the tank is leaking again and hit it a second time with a much thicker bead of silicone.

I am not planning to reseal the ENTIRE tank his time as there is no threat of any sand of anything making the areas dirty...

I have to have the fish out of the temporary tank I put them in on Monday.  No options.  Arg...  I am about to have some VERY heavily stocked tanks while I try to get this sealed.  I just hope they don't all kill each other.  I have already lost 1 cory in this ordeal, I was hoping not to loose any more.

curve

I LOVE MY BULLDOG

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »

The guys who ran the custom department at Oceanic started their own glass company in Texas called Deep Sea Aquatics.  Every bit as good as Oceanic if you need to replace your 125 with a high end aquarium.  You definitely will pay a premium however.  I will also say that Marineland gives you a lifetime Warranty on 125 Gallon Aquariums, if it leaks, it may be a mess and inconvenience, but they will replace it.  I've toured their factory on more than 1 occasion, and they are very good at what they do following strict quality guidelines.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »

Thanks Curve,

Deep Sea Aquatics. Good to know.

Karen,

What condition was the trim in?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 05:52:25 AM »

Its all in tact.  As are the braces (glass).

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »

It still leaks Sad(

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »

I am sitting in my classroom starting curriculum work for next year.  There is about 4" of water in the 125.... and so far, its staying there!

I resealed it (3rd time) the last day I was in the building in June.  Fingers are crossed that 3rd time was the charm.  Its been 2 hours and there's no sign of a leak. 

vinforte5

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:26:24 AM »

First hello to all I am new to the forum. I am upgrading to a 120g with big plans... I got an insane deal on a 120 tall 32" was told it has a small leak on the bottom and it doesn't start ti its about halfway filled. IDK but am a little nervous about resealing. I am very handy and have construction experience, so I confident that I am capable. I am very good with directions and processes. Just want to know if all the details before I start. The previous owner said he had tried to reseal from inside but didn't work??? Seemed very competent and knowledgeable.I know he is very respected in the local aquarium community. what about the out side under the frame? he said the glass may have bowed and leaked there? Heard there was something to do the outside that's thin and black? any tips, step by step, or advice? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated- thanks Vincent
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »

Do it again from the inside.  I was told (but did not experience) that I would be able to see where the leak is as bubbles would come up from there.  Yeah, right, sure they did.  You just go right on believing that!

If you can isolate where its leaking from you will know what to look for.  I am no expert, but have sealed a few smaller tanks.  This is my first time sealing a big one.  As you can see, it took 3 tries.  And the tank is still sitting in my classroom with 4" of water in it.  I haven't filled it yet.

Pat Mary

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »

Vincent, here is a link to an article about fixing leaks.  I hope it helps you.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/how-to-reseal-a-aquarium-article96.html

AleksO

Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 04:42:44 AM »

May be a bit too late, but here is my suggestion.
You might have to reseal a whole lots. Every single joint.
If it was not leaking for years it will eventually start, because the water is one of the powerful things on earth )) or if sealant let go in one place it will certainly fail right next to it soon enough.
1. Temporally solution: Reseal on top of every corner inside the fish  tank.
2. More permanent: Disassemble the fish tank. Sand off old sealant completely. And basically rebuild the fish tank.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »

AleksO thank you for your thoughts.  The tank has been in my classroom full of fish since last September with no signs of troubles.  I think its good.

AleksO

Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:20:03 AM »

AleksO thank you for your thoughts.  The tank has been in my classroom full of fish since last September with no signs of troubles.  I think its good.
Awesome! So how did you seal it? Patching or done the whole lots for every joint?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

The first time I resealed the entire tank, the 2nd and 3rd times I just the area in question.  3rd time was the charm.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation