Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Afraid of overstocking my 75 gallon?  (Read 2319 times)
amydeb

United States United States

« on: June 24, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »

Hello everyone,
I am new to fish keeping and would like some advice on stocking (like a whole lot of others here. Smiley )

My tank is 48x18x20 and my current filter is a Whisper 60 (Which I now know is not enough. I bought the whole set up used and a new canister is on it's way).

My current residents are:
(5) Giant Danios
(11) Tiger Barbs
(5) green Cory Cats

I would like to add (a few at a time!)
(8-10) Serpae Tetras
(6) Kuhli Loaches

It's hard for me to picture what kind of space these little baby Barbs are going to take up when they have grown up a bit so I'd like opinions on whether I headed for an over stocked tank once everyone is grown.  Another question is should I work on stocking these Tetras now while the Barbs are young and maybe not so aggressive?  Again, I'm new at this -so am I way off with this "put them together young" idea?  Am I over thinking this?  lol

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Amy

Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »

Hi, Amy and welcome to Badman's  Smiley

It looks like you have been doing some research.  Kudos to you!  But, this is just a personal opinion, mind you, I prefer a maximum of two schools in the middle strata instead of three.  So, based on that, I would increase the quantities of the giant danos and the tiger barbs .  Then, I would either add the kuhlis or more cories.  I really love kuhlis but cories would benefit from being in a larger school.  It is up to you.

When in doubt, do a water change.
amydeb

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:53:21 AM »

Thank you for your reply.  I was looking for more color.  (Skittles!?  Yes I read that. lol ) But you have a fair point.   

Then, I would either add the kuhlis or more cories.  I really love kuhlis but cories would benefit from being in a larger school.

I didn't think about the cories as a school.  My bad.  I thought 5 would be enough.  I've never seen them outside of the fish store and am finding that they have a lot of personality!  So I have no problem upping their numbers.  Would there be too many on the bottom if I added a few more and Kuhlis?  I just think they are very cool fish.  But don't want too many on the bottom thinking they would have to compete.  So I would pass on the Kuhlis if that would be an issue.

And speaking of competing... My tiger barbs have started acting like bottom feeders since the cories moved in!  They will eat from the top but at soon as pellets come in, they are hunting for those.  They spend a lot of time picking at the bottom. Is this typical behavior?  I feel like I'm feeding enough (maybe too much Sad  ) In all my research, no one mentioned that TBs are total hogs!  lol  I've began referring to them as my Labradors they will eat until they are stuffed and beg for more.  Most of the Cories will move away but the largest (all of 1-1/2"!) will chase them away.  Funny to see.   

Amy
amydeb

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:49:14 PM »

I tested my water today and all was good so I brought home 3 more cory cats.  Smiley 

My canister filter will be here sometime this week.  Once I have that up and running properly, I will slowly add more fish.  But the more I think about it, I know you are right, Pat Mary.  Three schools are too much.  My "flying labrador-dog-fish" are keeping the tank busy enough. 

Thanks for the help.

Amy
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »

Don't forget to quarantine any new fish, I hope those new cory cats didn't go right into the 75!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation