Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2019, 10:03:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aggressive Geo  (Read 3483 times)
jimibabojo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 29, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »

Hello, 
I've recently purchased a couple of geophagus surinsmensis. They are only young but are already looking pretty cool.  Whilst one is very placid, the other is really territorial and aggressive. Especially towards the other geo. 
Will calm down? Or if not, will he terrorise the other geo to the point of me having to do something about it?   
Any helpful advice would be a great help.
Thanks in advance. 
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »

They are normally a peaceful fish.  I am wondering if your tank is overcrowded which might cause this?  Here is their profile:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile97.html

When in doubt, do a water change.
jimibabojo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »

Thats why I got them.
I don't think it's overcrowded as all the fish are quite young. In my 55 gallon...
I have 10 tiger barbs, 4 silver dollars, which will be going into a larger tank in the near future. 5 red tail rasboras,  1 little pleco. Not common. And the two geos.  The aggressive behaviour seems to be territorial
jimibabojo

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »

OK,  Ive had a rearrange of the tank. I have given Geophagus Maximus Decimus Meridius or Max as I am calling him now. A larger piece of real estate to call his own. He even has a pretty awesome cave to sit in to survey his turf and decide whether or not, if its open to the public.
As for the timid Geo, who I've named Chief. I have opened up his allotted area and set up a clear boundary wall of pebbles and drift wood.

After a sneaky smoke and a few glasses of red. I was observing last night and it seemed that I only made matters worse.  As Max was pretty much lording it over the whole tank. Although now it seems that he was just deciding on where his new turf was going to be.
This morning it is a much happier tank. Max loves his cave, my barbs are bullying each other, which is cool. My silver dollars are literally growing every time I look at them.

I also found my Bamboo shrimp hiding under my driftwood. I thought he was dead! When I tried to move him he ran off and his somewhere else.  I'm a bit worried about him and why he's hiding.
One Battle At A Time
Giantbass

Bahamas Bahamas

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »

I know I have to ask you to tell many stories.
michaelvhillard

United States United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:14:40 AM »

Some more about the aquariums ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support