Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 04:57:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about my 75g  (Read 6443 times)
Cyneah

« on: July 02, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »

I have 5 Silver Dollars
3 Denison Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
10 Tiger Barbs
6 Serpae Tetras in my 75g. 
Water quality has been steadily good.  0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrate and steady PH of 7
I do 50% water change once a week, and syphon the gravel each time around the plants etc.
All fish are doing really well, except my Serpae's.  I started out with 9. My novice observation is this:  It appears to me that the low man on the totem pole is very pale, probably stressful being in that station in life.  Eventually, the stress gets the best of him, and he dies.  Other than the color becoming more pale as time goes on, I see no evidence of ick, tumors etc.  The last one that died, the last day of his life, he wasn't swimming very well.  3 Serpaes have died since the fall when I first got them.  When one dies, another takes on the low man on the totem pole role.  I'm thinking the Serpaes are getting lost in the 75 gallon.
I have quite a few fake and live plants, swords, and anubias variety that the fish won't eat. 
I'm thinking of taking the 6 Serpaes I have left to my LFS and getting 3 more Denison Barbs.   My question is, the 3 new Denison Barbs will be much smaller than my current 3 Denison Barbs.  Will they be ok?
Thanks,
Cindy
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »

I just saw that this thread went unanswered.  I hope my late comments are better than no comments.

I know nothing about Dennison barb's... but smaller fish will grow to blend in with the larger fish eventually.  You will have two separate schools at first.  Maybe get 4 or 5 of them rather than just 3.... bigger schools are always better than smaller schools.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Cyneah

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:41:33 AM »

Thank you Karen,

I would love to get more, but they grow to up to 6 inches.  I was afraid I would be over crowding my tank.  They are also hard to find, my favorite LFS hasn't had anymore.  I'm on his list to get some when he gets them in. 
Thanks for answering me!
Cindy
cannsyl

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »

I have 10 Denison barbs in my 125 gallon.  They do like to swim the length of the tank and are very fast...much like a giant Danio.  I think they should be in schools of 6+, the more the better, but 6 in a 75g would be a bit tight for my taste.  I would leave it at the 5 silver dollars, rainbow shark and tiger barbs...maybe add one more silver dollar?
But that's just mho.
Cyneah

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 05:36:06 AM »

Thank you Cannsyl,

Your advise came a bit too late.  I got 3 more Denison Barbs at my LFS.  I hope they do well in my tank.  I've already started thinking about wanting a discus tank, I may have a larger tank in my future...I keep chanting to myself...no more tanks, no more tanks.  I don't have the space.
cannsyl

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »

I looked at your filtration and I'm sure theyll be fine.  I have to keep telling myself the same thing no more tanks lol
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »

Move extra people into your house.... suddenly the urge to combine tanks and reduce them hits fast!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »

No Karen the issue is not enough space for bigger tanks. In that case you move people out.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »

Aquariums are like Jello. There is always room for Jello (and aquariums).  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's