Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2017, 01:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: canister filters  (Read 2615 times)
sketchyart

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 05, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »

Quick question. If I can Get an external canister should I get one that can pump 2000 or 4000 litres only reason I ask is both are more than adequate but same price. Does a better ltr per hour make it better or could it hinder a say 50 litre tank. Also I'm guessing the flow would affect the calm water.
Thinking of upgrading from 2 internal to 1 internal and a canister is all and wondered if u can have to much so to speak.
Also is UV light addition worth the money?
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »

2000L ph or a 4000L ph would definitely hinder a 50L. Should be ok for a 55 gallon aquarium though. Results of canisters w/built in UV lamps have been mixed. They are purposeful, but with adequate routine maintenance, I don't think they are worth the extra $$.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
sketchyart

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:46:54 AM »

Thanks for reply, always useful to have others input. On your advice I think im going to get without uv light and get average litre per hour. Cheers
sketchyart

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:09:15 AM »

Link to what im considering although i do want the fluval FX6 ideally just havent got the moolar for that or possibly the more affordable fluval 306 but the link below seems a cheaper option as im on a budget
All-Pond-Solutions-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-External-Canister-Filter-EF-Range-Media on ebay. cant add proper link yet as not made 10 posts. I did make my own external cannister filter with soil pipe capped ends and a little submersible pump but i doubt the flow rate is adequate enough
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »

What sized aquarium did you plan to put a Fluval FX6? If it is not at least 200 US gallons or more, you will wind up with a mini tidal wave inside your tank.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
sketchyart

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 01:45:25 AM »

Just a 55g at mo but hoping to add one above it aswell. 2 tier. Fx6 would just be in an ideal world. Although by the flow rate not so ideal for fishes
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »

An FX6 on a 55!!!!!!??!?!?!  Dear God, why?!?!?!

I am running an FX5 on my 450 gallon tank!  Please keep in mind that this filter is bigger than a shop vac, I hope you have a mighty tall stand!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation