Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 22, 2019, 04:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Filter cartridge question  (Read 2371 times)
sharlaburnett

« on: July 08, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »

Hey guys, how's everyone? Anyway I was wondering if 24hrs was long enough time to wait in between changing the filter cartridge and doing a water change? Reason I am asking is the last time I changed the cartridge and did a water change at the same time and it caused my tank to recycle. I'd appreciate any advice.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »

I had to look back through your posts to see what filter you have.  I see that it is the aqueon quite flow 10?  If that is what you still have, replacing the cartridge should not do anything to your bacteria colony because they mainly live in the bio-holster.  Therefore, you could change the cartridge at the same time that you are doing a water change. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
sharlaburnett

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »

Well I am still using that one but all you would be glad to know that I now also have a 29 gal with the tetra whisper ex 30and that is the one I was wondering about. Like I said I changed both at the same time on my aqueon filter and it caused my tank to recycle. Maybe because it was at the time a fairly new tank.
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »

I cannot find a schematic for the whisper x 30 filter.  Look at your box or the owner's manual (if they gave you one.)   Does it show a separate cartridge for mechanical filtration and a separate bio-filter?  If not, are they both combined?

Also, just as an FYI, when you ask a question, it is best to give all pertinent information.  This thread is a good example.  We haven't gotten to the point of the original post because we are still trying to establish what filter is being used and how it operates.  Smiley

curve

I LOVE MY BULLDOG

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »

The Whisper EX Filters have a separate bio-filter. No problem replacing the filter cartridge at the same time as you do a water change if your tank is completely cycled.
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »

Thank you, Curve.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman