Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 55 Gallon Stocking: Community Tank  (Read 4492 times)
Mr Chris

United States United States

« on: July 22, 2015, 10:34:12 PM »

I have a 55 gallon planted tank that currently has 6 Albino Cory, 2 Bolivian Rams and 1 Rainbow Shark. There are 2 caves and lots of driftwood that provide additional "cave-like" places. I am thinking of adding 6 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish and 1 Blue or Gold Gourami. I would appreciate input. Fairly new to this (around 6 months) and new to this forum. 
Cyneah

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:48:00 AM »

Mr. Chris,

I am fairly new to fish keeping as well.  I don't have the fish you have or thinking of getting, but after reading the fish stats and profiles, I don't see a problem adding the dwarf neon rainbows and a blue guarami. 
It sounds like a good community. 
I'm sure others will chime in and give their opinions as well. 
Cindy
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »

Blue gourami are a color derivation of the 3 spot.  They are VERY aggressive and not good in community tanks.  I had mine in with 2 oscars and 3 pacu, and it held them off.  She could have been eaten at any time, but was so mean she wasn't!   wouldn't enourage one where its bigger than other fish.  Make it the smallest fish in the tank and its a better arrangement.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »

To add to Karen's comment, rams are pretty timid fish so wouldn't fit well with any gourami in my opinion.  I am even wondering if they will be all right with the rainbow shark.  Watch carefully for any aggression between the species.

So, instead of a gourami, I would add even more of the rainbowfish. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Mr Chris

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »

I appreciate the advice. Looks like I will be moving forward without the Gourami. With the size of my tank (48 x 13 x 20) what would be the suggested number of Rainbowfish?

Fumy thing is:Blue Gourami was the reason that I got the 55 gal in the first place. I will probably end up getting another tank in the future because I really am quite fond of Blue Gourami. I rescued the Rams from a coworker and the Shark was a gift from my mom for my kids; however, I have let them know that if he grows to be too mean for the other fish that we'd have to find him a new home. 
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

I would get about 8 females and 4 males.  That stocking would prevent the females being stressed by the males too much.  It would also allow the males to show off to both other males and the females.  Would be a pretty tank.    Here is their profile for you to check out.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile118.html

Cyneah

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »

According to Badman's fish stats, the blue gourami is peaceful to most other fish except its own kind. 
Pat Mary

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »

The one thing that is a fact about fishkeeping is that nothing is really written in stone.  Saying that a gourami is aggressive means that most gouramis are aggressive but not all of them.  Once in a while you can get a "wimp" who won't bother anybody.  But, as a rule of thumb, most blue gouramis can be aggressive.  Rainbows are faster swimmers than gouramis so could drive a gourami a little crazy.

Another thing to consider is that gouramis come from slow moving water and Praecox (the rainbows that Mr Chris wants) come from fast moving rivers.  Those are different water conditions.

As a person gets more experience in working with fish, many try to do things that they were told in the beginning not to do.  If a person knows what they are doing that can work out in many instances.  However, one should always have a backup plan for the times that something doesn't work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's