Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 01:53:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual thing growing in my tank.  (Read 2494 times)
Tinker

Australia Australia

Tanks: 170G Red Devil, 63G Rainbow & Gourami Tank, 38G Patoti grow out, 20G long Betta Smaragdina Tank, 40G Betta Patoti pair, 8G Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

« on: August 02, 2015, 04:38:28 AM »

Now I only have a phone pic but I dont know what this is never seen anything like it. Its feathery sort of like a little flower or polypy thing. This is in a freshwater tank it is tiny the plants around it are crypts. It looks nothing like anything in my tank.
Does anyone know what this is?

* 20150802_171708-picsay.jpg (29.8 KB, 400x300 - viewed 266 times.)

Always willing to learn
Tinker

Australia Australia

Tanks: 170G Red Devil, 63G Rainbow & Gourami Tank, 38G Patoti grow out, 20G long Betta Smaragdina Tank, 40G Betta Patoti pair, 8G Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 05:11:40 AM »

I managed to give it a good poke and dislodge it some sort of algae I think

Always willing to learn
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:14:11 AM »

I have no idea, Tink.  But, I'm bad at that anyway.  lame

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »

There is white hair algae, but the shape in your tank is a bit unusual indeed.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Tinker

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:43:12 PM »

Im going to go with dead black beard algae apparently it does go red Ive seen pink but not red. It was quite attached to a piece of substrate so I had assumed alive. I do have some patches of black beard and I am using glutaraldehyde as a combo of a new fert blocks I can just dump in my tank. However every other bit of black beard is still black. The stuff Ive used in the past usually sends it white. Its actually quite beautiful but another hobbyist is quite sure it is dead black beard in a quite unusual shape. When dislodged it changes shape but always goes back to that flower like shape.
If it is dead algae how dissappointing as I said it is a very beautiful colour and form.

Always willing to learn
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »

No matter how experienced we are, this hobby always offers up some interesting observations. Your observations are certainly interesting  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Tinker

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »

Well I cant find my beautiful flower of possibly dead algae I am thinking the mystery snails have eaten it. Im a little disappointed it truly was a tiny thing of beauty. Even if it was only dying black beard algae lol  Smiley

Always willing to learn
Zapins

Tanks: 14

Aquatic plants make it better!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »

The red object in your picture looks like dead black beard algae to me. It is fairly common to see it turn bright red/pink after a gluteraldehyde dose. BBA is a type of rhodophyta that has adapted to live in fresh water. Rhodophyta are also called "red algae."

Usually the redness only lasts a few hours before it turns white/gray so it is possible you've just never seen the red before?

Here is some of my BBA after a spot treatment with gluteraldehyde. It will only die where the concentration of gluteraldehyde reaches a certain deadly concentration, so you can have areas of the tank with healthy BBA and others with dead BBA.
Tinker

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »

Oh cool Zappins thanks for the pic.

Yeah I have come to the conclusion it must be just dead BBA certainly is a lot more pretty when it is dying. Shame was so pretty wish it was a new kind of algae so more could of grown. Although my snails eat any algae that is not BBA they eat dead BBA though must taste better.

Always willing to learn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's