Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2017, 06:29:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tropheus breeding concern  (Read 2246 times)
cichlidlover

United States United States

« on: August 31, 2015, 06:59:41 AM »

Kiddo is selling a few fish that he wants to replace in his african tank, and I was shocked to see he feels his male tropheus needs to go. He inherited a male Bemba (black with red stripe) and female... I forgot the name, kiddo knows. She's black with a yellow stripe where his is red. They had been housed together for a year, with no care for each other at all. The male has been dancing and shimmying around the female since we put them in our tank, and she is starting to look pretty ragged and sometimes hides under the filter intake until food comes around. She does dance with him from time to time, but with no eggs he's relentless. Is it because they are different types of tropheus? I've never seen a fish stuck in the friend zone! They are exactly the same size, they have plenty of caves to choose from, yet he chases her in open water and circles her and vibrates all around her.
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »

The scifi name would really help. Tropheus are just that way. Most would hang out and breed in a small colony. Harems rule here. That is why your female is so ragged.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
cichlidlover

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »

Female is a tropheus moori ikola, male is a tropheus moori Bemba orange flame. Kiddo is giving the local shop the male, he doesn't think it would work out giving him a harem in a tank full of mbuna Sad He's a really cool fish, we knew nothing about him when we inherited him!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation