Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2017, 06:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pea Puffer Carinotetraodon travancoricus  (Read 2247 times)
Cyneah

« on: September 11, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »

I am considering purchasing a nano tank.  The one I'm looking at is 12g a little over 16" square and a little over 17" tall.  It's made by Fluval.  It will sit on a plant stand I have in my kitchen that currently has a very heavy crock with a plant in it.
I want to use white sand, some smooth river rock and a nice piece of drift wood, and a plant, the tall grass kind.
I was thinking about a betta, which would be the obvious choice, but we didn't have much luck with the betta in our 29g and I never figured out why.  I saw a small puffer at my lfs and am fascinated by them. 
I've done some research and found this article.  http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-dwarf-puffer-a-pleasant-little-surprise.htm
This article says some different things about what badmans fish profile states. 
I will only have one in that size tank.  My question is has anyone had any of this type of dwarf puffer and what was your experience?
My concerns are feeding.  I have no problem doing the frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, and I get a few snails in my 29g that I could feed to the puffer occasionally.   If that is ok for the fish and he thrives on it, then I'm ok.  Keeping live foods for him worries me a bit. 
If you have any other ideas besides a betta or a tank of shrimp, I'm open for suggestions.
Thanks,
Cindy
nurseshelly

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:22:10 PM »

You probably already did something because it has been so long.  But in case you still want to know, here is my experience with pea puffers.
I have had a pea puffer for over a year.  I have one female in a 5 gallon planted aquarium.
When I first got her she was very shy and was not used to people and didn't associate people with food.
She had to have live food in order to eat.
I fed her live black worms and either ramshorn snails or pond snails which I had a lot of in my 10 gallon.  I luckily had been breeding rabbit snails and since I had been feeding them well, my other snail populations also exploded before I got her.  Even then she still ate them faster than they reproduced in the end and I had dozens extra.  If yours has never eaten a snail it takes them a few times to figure it out.  They suck the snail right out of the shell. 
It took months for her to figure out that frozen blood worms were also food.  Once she did she would come right to me and eat one or two.  If the blood worms were really tiny she could eat more, but usually not.  If one was big then one was all she could eat.  You have to feed them every day because they are so small and you don't want to over feed them.  You want their tummy to be rounded but not huge.
You could have one or three in a 12 gallon.  Or that is what my LFS says - they say two will fight and you will end up with one.  They say a trio will do okay.  They need lots of hiding places and the line of sight broken up.  I have only had one though because it is easy to be stocked just right and not worry about water quality. 
They are really fun to watch hunting in the plants and gravel looking for snails or worms to eat.  Once you are feeding blood worms though they change and when they see you they start begging for food.  Of course when they don't see you they are still hunting even though nothing is in there Smiley  If you have lots of plants you can watch for a while before they see you. 
michaelvhillard

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:12:39 AM »

Nice...
Cyneah

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »

Thank you Nurseshelly, good information.  I ended up getting a 5g chi cube.  I purchased a betta and named him Bruce.  I decided the dwarf puffer I saw at the LFS needed brackish conditions and I didn't want to fool around with that.  I like the pea puffers, but there is no place locally that sells them.  I am enjoying Bruce. 
I'm going to try and attach a picture of my 5g Betta tank.

* Bruce the betta.jpg (124.31 KB, 480x640 - viewed 164 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation