Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2017, 03:32:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Style Bracelss 75 need a lid-  (Read 3103 times)
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« on: September 21, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »

I just bought a used 75 gal All Glass tank made in the old days. it has no center brace and I need to have a top on the tank. They do not seem to sell these lids that I can find. Does anybody know for sure from experience how thick two 48 inch long glass panels have to be to make my own lid?

Or does anybody have any other ideas as to what would work?

I do have the old 75 that leaked. i suppose i coule try to remove the top brace from both tanks and put the one with the center support onto the tank I just got? I am not sure how to do this safely. Does anybody know how to remove a top brace safely?

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just fix your leaker?  Here is an article on how it's done     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/how-to-reseal-a-aquarium-article96.html

Otherwise, if you still want to use the one that you bought, could you ask a glass company what would work?  

I don't know if you want this as a display tank but, if not, you could use a bar with c-clamps to replace the center brace.

When in doubt, do a water change.
TwoTankAmin

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »

I never repair tanks that leak. I either throw them out or give them away to somebody who will.

I did some research looking into the possibilities which included a call to Aqueon. The first bit of info is the manufaturing label was on the tank- it was made in 1988. Amazing how it still holds water fine. As part of the conversation with Aqueon they told they recently found a tank from the 1950s in storage, They took it out, dusted it off and it held water.

Anyhow, I had looked at a few solutions which included making a lid using stock lid hinges and backstrip, swaping the top frame on the leaker with that on the no brace tank or using acrylic/plexi to make a lid.
1. Aqueon told me that the lids for this tank were quite heavy and the glass was a bit over 3/16 thick. the stock hinges I find for sale are either 1/4 or 3/16 since the glass today is not as thick as in the old days. So I ruled that out.
2. The two different frames are different sizes by fractional amounts. So I ruled that out.
3. The cost and time to make an acrylic/plexi lid was too great to justify it.

This was my mistake, I have been very busy lately and was trying to get a 75 in place quickly. Somewhere in my mind a small voice tried to scream NO center brace, but I did not hear it. So I bought the tank. So i have wasted some money. I will offer the tank for a small price to anybody who wants it knowing what it is or I will give it away.

Now I need to find a modern 75 ASAP. I will probably have to pay fall retail price. I scoured several forums and cCraigs list with no luck. The one consolation is the fish for which this tank will serve as home and in which I hope to spawn them are rare and very expensive plecos. Considering what the fish are worth, the cost of the tank is fairly inconsequential. I was trying to save a few dollars and was hoisted with my own petard.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »

If it is a standard 75 gal, you should be able to order a new top trim piece for it. That piece will also have a center brace that can support two lamp/hood fixtures.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »

It wont fit. I had two 75s, both center brace. This tank was close by. I should not have taken it, but I thought I could find lids.

I am hunting all over looking not to pay retail or at least not an overpriced amount. Craigs list, fish site classified, a few people I know who might know somebody. I don't need a stand, or any hardware etc. All I want is the tank but would take lids even though I have some on the shelf.

The last 75 I bought was used and came with tops and iron stand for $150.

I don't reseal leakers because I do not trust myself to do it right with 100% certainty. With some tanks that you can get at the several times a year at the $1/gallon sales, it does not not make sense to me to spend time for almost any thing 10, 20, 29, 40B or even 55 any more. Especially when the risk that I make another leaker is factored in.

Oh yes, I wanted to have this tank up and stockable by today, tomorrow at the latest.

fborrero

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »

Fixing your braceless 75 is easy- But before, note this,
a) The top frame from the leaking 75 will NOT fit the braceless tank. b) you will NOT find a top frame with brace for the braceless tank. c) It is now almost impossible to find a 48" (one piece) versatop, and if you find it, it would probably be for an old 55, not 75 or 90 gal.

This is what you do: Measure the width of the braceless 75 to the nearest unit (I work in mm). Go to your hardware store and have them cut you a piece of glass that matches the width, and is about 10-15 cm wide (your choice). After a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol, use silicone glue to glue the piece of glass across the top of the 75, resting on both edges. I have done it both gluing the piece on top, and gluing it UNDER. They both work. After letting cure completely, install your versatops and problem gone! Some people have done it the same way, but without gluing the piece of glass, just having it rest on top (obviously, only on top, not under). It works too as the probability of dropping it is very slim. A friend did the same with a piece of plexiglass. It works too, but it bows a little over time, specially with intense lighting (heat from lights).
I have done this procedure several times, and am about to do it again for a braceless 40 breeder.
TwoTankAmin

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I long ago got a 75 gal. floor model new and it has been up and running for many months. The old one is in the carport and will likely go to the dump in the next month unless somebody wants to came take it.

Right now I have empty a 125 with a 45 gal sump under it, a 40B, and then my event/room sale/emergency tanks 2x10, 15, 2x20L and a 29. I have 19 tanks running Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation