Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 22, 2017, 05:06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angelfish Harem  (Read 3621 times)
cannsyl

« on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »

So I have 5 angels in my 125.  I have one HUGE male (Bruce) that has decided he wants 2 girls.  He is breeding with both of them and the other two angels have paired up as well.  This week I had 3 clutches of eggs!
1.  Is it normal for angels to be polygamist?
2. I have a community aquarium so the eggs have not made it more than a day so far I was thinking of getting a marina hang on breeder...can I hatch the eggs there with an extra air stone or do I have to separate them and add fungicides?  can I just make the box dark?
3. should I sell off the "extra" breeding pair or one of the Bruce's women or keep them all?
They are Bulgarian Seal points...one of the harem girls is 50% mamacapuru so she has the red shoulders and the seal points (very pretty) the other female and the male are Philippine blue Seal points (platinum body with shaded fins)

thanks
Christy
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »

WOW!  I cant answer our questions, but love to hear of your successes! 

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
cannsyl

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:06:55 AM »

Well I haven't had much success yet.  I've had probaby 3-4 clutches before these and just let them stay in the community. they usually either get eaten or turn white then get eaten.  I'm hoping I figure it out eventually and get some fry.  I'm thinking of getting a marina hang on breeder and see if I can hatch the eggs there.  if that doesnt work I guess I'll go with getting out the 10 gallon and set it up with fungicide and all the accouterments.  I am excited they all seem to be trying anyways, I was worried at first I wouldn't get a pair now I have a pair and a threesome lol
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »

Right, by success, I just mean they are all in there and happily living out life.  If you get babies that is serious bonus!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:18 AM »

Are you certain re the sexing? Two FMs will spawn together but the eggs will not be viable. If you are able to abserve the actual spawning, you can see both depositing eggs in such cases.

I was able to pull huge angel spawns to be hatched out in a 2.5 gal tank. Sorry for poor pic skills.

The leaf was cut and moved to the hatching tank.

It is difficult to impossible to get angel fry in a community tank for a number of reasons:

- Other fish see eggs, wigglers and newly free swimming fry as lunch.
- The parents will eat their own eggs before letting them be eaten by something else.
- New free swimming angels need live food inititially and they need it several times a day.

Here is an good article on angels and breeding them. It has a section on Hatching Eggs Away from Parents  http://fins.actwin.com/species/angelfish.html

A few more observations- Angel breeders will usually suggest one have two 55 gal. tanks for fry raising for each mature spawning pair one has. If your are serious about spawning angels and raising their fry, you should have a separate tank for each pair. This should be bare bottom, with a slate or other spawning surface. A sponge filter would be a good choice as well.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
cannsyl

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »

Ok so I did watch one two of the pairs spawn, it looked like one would lay eggs and the other would follow behind but did not lay eggs.  I am fairly certain of at least One male the largest and two females.  the smaller pair I'm not positive about.  The trio I am 95% I have two females and one male. 

I figured it would be nearly impossible to get anywhere in the community set up.  The angels seem to protect the eggs from the other angels but don't really pay attention to the Denison barbs which apparently love angel fish eggs.  So I will move the next batch out.

I am not dead set on getting large amounts of fry.  I think it would be cool to get some hatched, but if it never happened I wouldn't be devastated...hence letting them go naturally for these first 4 or so rounds. 

I have a 75 with neons and danios, but I also have a few 10 gallons for the fry to start in.  I have sponge filters and other extra canister filters that can be moved around.  I have 3 canisters on my 125 right now...I just got a Eheim 2217 and I have two others already on it so bio-filtration shouldn't be a problem.

The first pair (large male and red shoulder female) have had probably 4-5 clutches of eggs, this last week was the first time to get eggs from the other two females. 

I do hope to eventually get a few fry to hatch, next time I'll try using a breeder tank instead of leaving them in the community or putting them in a breeder "basket".  Maybe I'll get lucky Smiley

thanks for the link I'll check it out. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's