Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 23, 2017, 04:25:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken's vs Ed's  (Read 2406 times)
cannsyl

« on: October 19, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »

So I've bought food from both Ed's almost natural fish food and Ken's Fish food.  Fish seem to like both and eat them both voraciously.  Some types they like better than others (flakes vs sinking pellets).  Any one here have a preference?  Which is the better food?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »

As someone with a LOT of knowledge about fish feeds I can give you a pretty good answer.  Ed's is probably better, but he's never had his feeds tested, so there is no solid evidence to support that claim.  Food gets striped of its nutritional qualities (assuming that it starts out with them!) in a few ways.  Cooking during manufacturing is by far the most serious and obvious way things lose their nutrients.  Fish in the wild NEVER cook their food!  Storage after manufacture is the next obvious way food loses nutritional qualities.

If you don't test your feed post manufacture for nutritional value, you honestly have no clue what nutrients survived your manufacturing processes.  Before manufacturing, Ed starts with better ingredients than Ken does.  However Ken's feed is vastly superior to almost all mass produced feed on the market.  Post manufacturing Ken's feed is good stuff with high quality nutrition.  He makes his food in small batches and sells it quick, so there isn't a huge amount of storage time eating away at the remaining nutrients.

Ed has never tested his food post manufacture.  This is something I don't understand, I have asked him about it a few times and he simply states that the testing process is expensive and he starts with such high quality feed that he feels the testing is arbitrary.  I disagree with him, but its his company, he makes those decisions.  I also know that while Ed does in deed make feed in small batches, his retail market is MUCH smaller than Ken's and some feeds sell fast while others sit around for a while.  The shelf time on feed bought from Ed is unknown. 

Ken doesn't put manufacture dates on his feed either, but I've known Ken a long time, his food doesn't sit around.  Any older feed he has gets packed into group bundles and shipped out to mass breeders, aquaponic facilities and other large businesses.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
cannsyl

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »

so it sounds like either way I'm better off than buying it from petsmart lol.  And without testing Eds its hard to know exactly which is better post manufacture but I can't go wrong either way, which is good because I have a little of both.  Thanks  party
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »

Ed's and Ken's foods are very good. Sure, have a little of both   happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:10:45 AM »

This little discussion reminds me of the time VM mistakenly sprinkled Ed's food on his pizza.  May his pizzas continue to be so good whatever he may be. 

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:27:13 AM »

This little discussion reminds me of the time VM mistakenly sprinkled Ed's food on his pizza.  May his pizzas continue to be so good whatever he may be. 

Ohh God!  I do not remember that and really wish I had!!  VM was such a story teller, I'll bet his version was enough to make you pee yourself laughing.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »

Which food is better? That is really a relative question. While hobby business operations that package up foods for friends or sell periodically online are not really regulated, business that do that exclusively and for profit, are regulated and must adhere  to standard FDA nutritional labeling regs and Dept. of Agriculture weights and measurements regs. When my husband and I had our pet shops, we had formulated foods that we assembled and packaged for resale. We had to abide by those regs. This may be regulated at the state level also. That being said, while we had periodic testing of our scales by the AG for accuracy, we were able to make our own labels with ingredients and percentages of each ingredient. Components for our foods that we packaged ourselves were already pre-tested and all we had to do was a bit o math to proportionate our ingredients.

I'm sure at one time or another that Ed has had his ingredients tested either by component separately and then proportioned out to the final formulation. Either way, his foods are very good.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation