Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 22, 2019, 04:07:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie with angelfish dilemma  (Read 1876 times)
bettagirl25

United States United States

“Fish are friends!Not food!”

« on: November 25, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »

Hi everyone just joined thanks to superpap.Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction.Currently I have two ten gallon tanks and one 55 gal bow tank.When I got the 55 gal included was 3 tiger barbs 4 angelfish 2 silver dollars a little catfish (not sure what kind I think it may be a Cory I need to do more research)and a plecto.well the plecto has been re homed with my vet and I lost all 3 tigers in a matter of days.First one got his tail caught under the bubble stone and died the second one I believe got attacked the third one I had to euthanize as within hours of the second dying he went down hill fast.
Anyway that leaves me with my angelfish ,silver dollars and catfish.The last couple days I have been noticing the silvers have been attacking the angelfish to the point I have two now that are missing sizeable pieces out of their fin on top.

The worse of the two I put in a breeding net for protection.i don't have a python presently (I will soon) and we are on well water with a pH of around 8.needless to say it's going to take a couple days to fill the tank up.in my quarantine I have 3 black mollies 2 sunburst platys 2 Mickey Mouse platys and 2 female silver dollars.my question being once I get the Angels into the tank would the attacks stop from the silver dollars do you think?they only seem to have targeted two of the fish.And if not could I re home 3 out of 4 and keep the fourth and either keep it solo or get him a buddy later?hes calmer than the rest and also seems to like me too.once the quarantine is up the platys and black mollies I am planning to move to the 10 gal and possibly keep the 4 silvers in there.i suspect I have both a case of territory issues and male posturing (the ten gal was never meant to be a permanent home for the Angels )

Thank you in advance for any help!
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »

Welcome to Badman's, bettagirl.   Smiley

I guess that I am more than a little confused.  Do you have all of those fish in one 10 gallon tank or are they split between the two of them?  Are the two female silver dollars that you mentioned the same ones that came with your 55 gallon tank or are they more that you purchased?
Please tell us exactly which species are in which tank and the quantities of each.  Silver Dollars and Angel Fish cannot live in a 10 gallon tank for any length of time.  They get to be much too large.   Why does it take days to fill your 55?

Silver Dollars are schooling fish.  They should be in a group of at least 6 individuals.  They cannot be kept as only two.  If schooling fish are not kept in a school, they very well may attack others.    Here is a link to their profile:    http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile23.html

If this were my tank, I would return the mollies and platys to the shop.  All of these fish cannot live in your 55.  Silver Dollars get to about 8 inches and Angels are about 10 inches top to bottom.

Again, please clarify exactly what is where and we will be glad to help you.  Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's