Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 22, 2019, 12:47:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stocking plan for my 55g  (Read 10811 times)
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:02 PM »

Yes, it looks like your tank is ready.  Now, because you already have fish in there, new additions must be quarantined for 4-6 weeks to be sure that no disease or parasite will infect your main tank and that they are used to your water and your maintenance schedule.  I would get enough of a species to complete that particular stocking.  Put them into QT for the required period.  After QT, I would add 2 or 3 at a time until they are all in.   With each addition I would watch for any spikes in your readings.  You want the bacteria to keep up with the stocking.  Then, add the next species to your QT tank and repeat.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Blaze

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »

That's what I was thinking :-)

Would it be too much to get 4 danios and 4 Cory cats into my 10 gallon quarantine at once (to minimize how long they have to wait for friends), or should I only do one species at a time?

Thanks.
Pat Mary

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »

I think the danios should be QT'd alone because they are a larger species. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Blaze

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »

Update:
Quarantine of the Danio's is is going well. (Got a couple Nerite and Mystery snails in quarantine too since I'm getting a bit of brown algae)
Changed the display tank substrate to sand. The Cory's are noticeably happier. (As am I, I would have preferred a natural look but this is much better than the gravel/clown barf, had to compromise and get colored sand as my wife keeps reminding me that the tank is for my daughter's not me. Lol)
Pic below...

One of the Danio's in the main tank is acting odd (he was doing it before the substrate change). He spends most of his time tucked up behind the filter return in the bubbles stream rising from the bubbler in the corner. I think the bubbles create a significant local current there and maybe he just likes swimming against the current. I can't see anything wrong with him and he goes back out and swims normally if I stop the bubbles for a bit. (Which I have been doing before feedings, otherwise he stays back there and misses out). Should I be worried?

* P_IMG_20160108_224735291.jpg (809.57 KB, 5344x3006 - viewed 285 times.)
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 06:37:33 PM »

Blaze,

Go slow in adding fish. Start with maybe 3-4 small/medium fish then add a couple every week or so. This will also give you a chance to finalize your stocking plans....

Good luck!

GB
Blaze

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »

GB,

That's the plan, have 4 Danio's in quarantine now. Once they go in I'm going to get the Cory cats into quarantine. Etc...

As I only have the one quarantine tank it will be 4+ weeks between additions to the main tank.

The only exception may be the tetras, I may get a bigger group of them into quarantine at once, then add them weekly in smaller groups to the main tank one quarantine is done..

Thanks,
-Blaze
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »

When adding fish to a cycled tank that is partially stocked, the guideline is pretty simple. Try to do additions such that the increase in the bio=load to the tank is about 25% or so.

Both the ammonia and nitrite bacteria, while slow to reproduce, can double in way less than 24 hours easily. By only needing them to increase by about 30% in capacity, you are not taxing them and you are pretty certain to have them up to snuff pretty fast.

And the fun part here is each subsequent addition can be larger than the prior one. For example, let's say a tank has 4 small fish like tetras in it. You can easily add one more of the same size fish. The next addition you can add 2 more fish and the addition after that might be 3 more fish. This is a crude example but i think it conveys the idea.

As a guideline I have always used my best approximation of the weight/volume of fish. Working with estimated body mass works well and when in doubt, underdo rather than overdo. The other important consideration when stocking gradually, aside from compatibility issues, id that some fish need to start out in a more mature tanks than others. For example, zebra danios handle cycling better than corys. So it would make sense to stock the danios first and add the corys later.

This is also a good time to throw in the following information on one of the great benefits of fishless cycling. When done, one can fully stock a tank all at once if they so desire. The tank should be cycled for this level of fish if one has cycled the tank to process 3 ppm of ammonia (and the nitrite it creates) in 24  hours or less.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Blaze

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 01:48:10 PM »

Thanks!

I didn't realize I could increase my additions each time, that's great news! I thought stocking was going to take 6 months. Lol.

Both my display and my quarantine tank are fully cycled so not too concerned but I am stocking certain fish later due to hardiness.

My current plan/order:
Finish out my danio school.
Finish out my Cory cat school
Add tetra school
Add red tail shark and Gourami's
Add kuhli loach school (kuhli's are planned last because they are the most fragile)
Blaze

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »

I have the API master test kit. However I see people talking about hardness testing and phosphates. Do I need to purchase test kits for these as well?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation