Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2017, 02:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for new power filters  (Read 1631 times)
Tara7

Tanks: 1 55g planted

« on: December 26, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »

Hi and very happy holidays to you all fish lovers,
I have a 55 gallon planted tank and have been using 2 Aquaclear 70 power filters which seem to be getting old now. I'm looking for something a little more efficient and possibly less time consuming to clean. Would be grateful for any advice  happy thanks  fish09
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »

I have had as  many as 26 AC running for some time(down to 17 now). I have little trouble cleaning them at all and I still have my very first 50 (called a 200 when i got it). I got it in early 2002. The only model I do not particularly like is the 110.

The only issue I ever have is when the impeller and impeller well get gooped up. This has little effect however unless they are turned off (either voluntarily or due to electricity going out). If the filters need cleaning, they do not restart. I used to try to prevent this with maintenance, but with 26 filters this was a bit nuts. So I evolved the practice of waiting for them to not restart before I cleaned them out, This was maybe once a year or so.

These are simply designed very reliable filters which do not break easily. Are you sure the problem is not that your media is clogging? How do you have the filter5s loaded (what media in what order)?

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »

Although I am not a big fan of filter media that pulls double duty (standard Aqua Clear sponge), I will say that Aqua Clear filters are the most efficient and contain the least moving parts for the job it does of same class filters on the market. Also, in my experience, they are the easiest to maintain. As Chris indicated, I would also be interested in your filter maintenance routine and media type. With a nicly planted tank, you may not need any more filters other than the ones you already have.  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Tara7

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:32:27 AM »

Thank you both very much. I have 2 70g AquaClear HOB's for my 55g. This is what I do: I clean the whole system, basket, filters, impellers etc., once a month. Every 15 days or so, I rinse out the filter media and anything else that needs clearing, tubes mainly. I place the sponge media at the bottom (have not changed that for years) just lightly rinse it, then on top I have a chemipure elite media and on top of that the ceramic media which I have not changed for years either (just lightly rinse).

By more efficient, I have been thinking of a canister system. My plants have been growing like crazy. There are even some in there that I don't remember planting! I keep having to prune them. Also lately I seem to be getting more algae than usual, which is somewhat frustrating. I have some snails, but they keep coming and going, not really a problem. Probably feed too much . . . The fishes live to eat  happy

Glad for your comments.
mchambers

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »

I find canister filters to be superior to HOBs, because they are quieter and require less maintenance.  I clean my canisters every three or four months.  I do use a few Aquaclear HOBs and agree that they are the best and lowest maintenance HOB filters.

I prefer Eheim filters and also the Cobalt EXT.  I think you'd be happy with an Eheim 2217, which would be enough for a 55 by itself. 

A Cobalt EXT is rated for tanks up to 55, but I don't think one is really enough for a 55.  The Cobalt is the easiest to maintain, because of the unique design. 

Hope this helps.  Opinions will vary, of course.  Some people really don't like canisters.  If you want to go really low maintenance, you could install a Hamburg mattenfilter.  You can get them at Swiss Tropicals.  I have friends who have them and love them, but have never installed one myself.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »

I clean my AC impellers only when I find a filter won't restart after the power goes off and comes back on with at least a few second or more delay. That works out to maybe once a year twice at most. All of the ACs use only two media- sponges and filter floss (some use only sponges). I give away their bio-rocks. Every week the floss is replaced and the sponges are rinsed. I clean the intake tubes if the second one is building up gunk and never clean the filter body itself. The basket gets removed and then the sponges go into a bucket of tank water the floss goes into the garbage and the basket at best gets swished in the bucket. I cut a piece of new floss to fit and put it all back together. I also use a pre-filter on all my AC intakes and that is also rinsed at this time.

I do agree that will a well planted tank, a canister if a nice option. I ran my high tech planted 50 gal. for over a decade using an Eheim Pro II which doubled as my CO2 reactor. That filter is still running fine today and it has now been in continuous use since early 2003. I clean my canisters roughly every 6 months. And as for the advantages of a well designed canister are more volume that can hold media and then a slower flow rate to increase the contact time between the water and the organisms residing in the media. And lets not forget how variable the configuration of the return is. I finally had the spraybar in that 50 gal. aligned vertically in the back right corner of the tank. I drilled a few extra holes as well to redirect some of the flow.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Tara7

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »

I find canister filters to be superior to HOBs, because they are quieter and require less maintenance.  I clean my canisters every three or four months.  I do use a few Aquaclear HOBs and agree that they are the best and lowest maintenance HOB filters.

I prefer Eheim filters and also the Cobalt EXT.  I think you'd be happy with an Eheim 2217, which would be enough for a 55 by itself. 

Thank you all so much again for taking the time (in this busy season) for such expert info. I will print it out. Well mchambers, I've decided to go with your advice and have already ordered the Eheim 2217 with all included, good price and free shipping. I hope the instructions for installing it are easy to follow! Also can I use the old filter media (with the new) so the tank doesn't have to go through all the cycling again?  happy
mchambers

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »

Yes, you should be able to place the old biomedia into the 2217 to avoid having to cycle it.  Or you could run one AC with the 2217 for a couple of weeks. 
michaelvhillard

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 05:20:21 AM »

I have replaced the power filters in my aquarium which I have bought from aquaristic online. I have used and it is very efficient and you will also find it more easy to clean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation