Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 26, 2017, 10:27:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online purchase of floating plants  (Read 3329 times)
azbev

United States United States

« on: January 04, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »

I would appreciate hearing of any personal recommendation for websites that sell aquatic plants, floating in particular (Java Moss, Anubias -- or any other recommendations).  I am wary of introducing snails or other unwanted creatures into my tank and would hope to find a trustworthy source.  Thank you.
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »

I have used this site for ordering plants and found the plants to be very healthy.     http://www.aquariumplants.com/

It is almost impossible to be guaranteed that there are no snails coming with the plants.  But, this linked site also gives treatments which will eliminate snails. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »

Potassium Permanganate baths eliminate all unwanted plant hitch hikers...

It has never failed me...

Just be aware that Potassium Permanganate will permanently stain anything it comes into contact with so use old containers for bathing your plants...

You only need a tiny amount of the powder in a container of water...

Bath the plant for about 45 mins...then rinse it down well with dechlorinated water....

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
azbev

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »

Thank you for your responses.  My tank is small (20 gallon) so I am hoping to find small floating plants, leaves of approximately 1-2" - not those really, really tiny plants that can fill the entire surface.  Regular water lettuce gets too large, I think; I've heard of dwarf or miniature water lettuce, but the folks at AquariumPlants.com are not familiar with it.  (??)

Does anyone have any suggestions for names of floating plants?  I've heard that some Anubias are okay floating (or with roots close enough to reach substrate, but not actually planted), but there are so many kinds of Anubias I have no idea what to get.

I am a bit wary of "treatments" as, so far, my tank seems to be doing so well.  I've heard that once one starts "treatments" (pH, clarity or whatever), the tank's balance can be altered negatively.  Is this not the case?

Could you clarify what is considered a "tiny amount" of Potassium Permanganate?  (1/2 teaspoon to one gallon?  1/8 teaspoon?  A pinch?))

Thank you very much.
Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »

My choice would be alum.  You can get it at your grocery store in the spice area.  Here is a link from Aquariumplants.com telling how to use it.     http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

Scroll down to the plant dip area and it will give you directions. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
gunnered72

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 04:38:25 AM »

By far the best floating plant available is Amazon Frogbit  (Limnobium Levigaetum)....Its got beautiful roots and leaves and is not as invasive as others! It even flowers at the surface under the right conditions...Most of all its not very demanding...It will grow under most average light and doesnt require any ferts or Co2 addition....There just cant be too much disturbance at the water surface...It doesnt like getting wet on top of its leaves...It tends to melt if this happens....I personally love it....Its one of my all time favourite plants...Some fish will also nibble on it as a food source...All around its a win win....And if it grows like crazy which it sometimes does just sell chunks of it and make yourself a few dollars....

Salvinia Natans is a good too....

Do not put Duck Weed in your tank...You will regret it!!!

A small amount of Potassium Permanganate literally means an amount the size of half a pea....The water should turn a pinky colour and you should be able to see through it....Any more is too much.....You will know when there is too much when the water turns dark purple almost and you cant see the bottom of the container its in.....Its kinda trial and error to be honest

gunnered72

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:47:52 AM »

By the way you are absolutely right about putting treatments in your tank....They are only required in extreme cases! And that goes for medicines, PH buffers etc etc etc.....Only ever use any treatment if you know exactly what your doing!

The only treatment a healthy aquarium really requires is dechlorinator at water change time...
Nothing else!!!!!

But i will say planted tanks will nearly almost require Fertilizers (liquid usually) and a source of Co2 either liquid or injected via a Co2 system.....

azbev

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »

Gunnered72, thank you so much for your ideas.  I've read about the frogbit, but isn't it tiny, tiny and doesn't it tend to float around and get into the filter?  I've read it also grows like crazy and must be thinned often. (?) Salvinia natans sounds like a good choice, and yes, I've read about the horrors of Duck Weed!  I'm looking for Dwarf Water Lettuce, but no one seems to have heard of it.  I read about it online, on a Google search.  It sounds ideal.

As for the fertilizers or liquid Co2, isn't that like adding "treatment" to the water?  Doesn't it affect the fish somehow?  Right now I am dealing with slightly cloudy conditions in my tank (milky) as well as a bit of brown algae. I've cut down on feed, as some say this can create cloudy conditions.  I do 25-30% weekly water changes ... but still the milkiness.  Some people say these conditions are not an infrequent occurrence in relatively new tanks (about 6-7 months)  I think plants may help with both conditions.

This is probably silly question, but is a tank with just floating plants considered "planted"?

Thank you!
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »

There are a number of neat floaters you can use in tanks as well as the above mentioned. Here is a list of some which does not include stem plants, most of these will do fine floating and I have used many is that way.

Azolla caroliniana
Ceratopteris pteridoides (aka floating antlerfern)
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Phyllanthus fluitans (neat looking but harder to keep)
Pistia stratiotes
Riccia (can be planted as well)

Pretty much other types of Azolla and salvinia may also qualify for inclusion in tanks.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
gunnered72

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 12:51:23 AM »

Frogbit is not tiny...Its leaves are about half an inch to an inch wide...They are in my tanks anyway...And all floating plants grow fast...All you do is prune them and sell or throw out what ya dont want...

Salvinia is smaller!

Co2 or ferts do not harm fish! They are actually a very natural thing to add to a planted tank and also essential in well planted tanks....

And yes a tank with just floating plants is considered planted (After all there are live plants growing in it)

Of more concern is the cloudiness in your water...I would test for Ammonia and NitrIte straight away!

azbev

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »

Gunnered72:  Thank you for your answers.   Parameters in this tank have always been good.  Ammonia and Nitrites are zero.  Fish seem happy and healthy.  I will do a water change tomorrow and also change the carbon filter, even though it's only been in there for a little over two weeks (recommended change is monthly).

Back to my search for floating plants, none of the stores near me carry any.  Do you buy yours online?  If so, which online source do you use?  If not, where does everyone find these amazing plants that have been listed and mentioned?   It's disappointing to me that such beneficial and neat plants are not widely sold.

Again, thank you. I appreciate your help..
gunnered72

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »

Im not sure what its like in the USA but you can absolutely buy live plants online here in Europe (Ireland)

Ebay i have always found to be a good source!

azbev

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »

Thank you.  I think I have a good online source and will have a look there for my floating plant.   It's just surprising to me that LFS and big box stores (PetCo, PetSmart in US) do not stock floating plants.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation