Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 01:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbian Shark - Transition Schedule to Brackish Water  (Read 2546 times)
Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

Tanks: 50 gal brackish water

« on: January 14, 2016, 06:46:36 PM »

Thank you for your help these past few days. With your tips and orientation, I've finally decided to focus on my busy three Columbian Sharks. Yay!

(Disclaimer: I know 55 gallons is not enough for mature sharks, but I'm saving (and working on my wife), so hopefully I'll have a beautiful 150 gal tank in one year.)

The tank is freshwater. I added the equivalent of 3 cups of marine salt to it in the last few days, thinking that'd be enough. However, its SG is less than 1.014, the minimum the hydrometer reads, AND after reading this forums, I realized that the transition needs to be gradual.

So here is my very important question: is there an ideal schedule that I can follow during the transition? I read online things about changing every 6 months, and so on, but I couldn't understand... Also, how do I know the salinity if my current tool only starts measuring at 1.014?

Summarizing:
- 55 gal freshwater
- 3 Columbian Sharks (4" & 3")
- Need schedule

Thank you for helping me take care of these beautiful fish!

Fish keeping is good for ADD.
ADD is bad for fish keeping.
Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »

oh, btw, should the schedule take in consideration that the sharks need full marine water by the time they mature?

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

What kind of hydrometer are you using (brand/functionality)? Also, you mentioned that you added 3 cups of marine salt to your aquarium. Did you not do this by mixing the solution separately, remove water from your tank, then add the new mixture back into to the tank?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »

Fluval Sea. swallowaquatics.co.uk/marine/water-testing-kits/hydrometers/fluval-sea-hydrometer.html

Yes, I added the salt in the way you mentioned.

TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »

Over the years I have found that a combination of three sites usually give me decent information on any given fish. The first site is this one. Below are three links to information about your fish and I would suggest you read them all. Between them you should find the answer to most of your questions.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile63.html
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Ariopsis-seemanni/
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Arius_seemani.html

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:24:56 AM »

Thank you, TwoTank. Those are good articles. I had already read the two first ones, and the third one added some useful information. It's because of that literature that I learned that the tank needs to be brackish. The tricky part is how to transition from FW, at what pace I should increase the salinity to the recommended levels. That's what I haven't found on the internet yet Smiley

TwoTankAmin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:57:41 PM »

I doubt there is any formula. However, a little "common sense" may help.

These statements from those articles can be used  as a guideline:

Water chemistry: pH 6.8-8 (7.6), 8-30 dH (16), 72-81°F (22-27°C). A 2% addition of salt is necessary. This can be accomplished by adding 15 TSP. of salt/ 10 gallons (20 g of salt/10 L).

The water should have some sea salt added and measure a salinity of 1.005 to 1.015.

These fish need to be in brackish by the time they have reached several inches in length (3 or so). Since those articles do give a targeted level of salinity, I would simply divide the amount of salt it takes to produce that level and add it in several doses over a week or two as the fish reach that size. This assumes that the fish are not already suffering from not enough salinity. In that case I would be inclined to raise things much faster. It is very rare that moving a fish out of grossly wrong parameters into proper ones as quickly as possible will harm the fish more than not doing so.

Based on the idea of shooting for 15 level teaspoons of salt for each 10 gals. of water, consider adding 3 teaspoons/10 gals. every other day for 5 days. This lets you observe the fish for a while after each addition and if they seem to have a problem, you can pause the additions for a while.

Bear in mind that your tank does not hold its advertised volume. To calculate its actual volume of water, measure the height, length and width on the outside and then subtract twice the thickness of the glass panel from the length and width. For the height subtract one glass panel and then the amount of air space between the surface of the water and the top of the tank, You can then put those numbers into a tank volume calculator to determine your actual water volume. However, you will need to reduce this further to account for ant substrate, rock-work and wood (or other ornaments). I normally suggest this be 5% to 10% depending on how much of these one has in the tank.

To give you an idea of true volumes- a 10 gal. Aqueon tank without anything but water in it and allowing about 1/2 inch of airspace at the top would hold a bit over 9 gals. I have a 150 gal tank I calculated would hold about 135 gals. This is about 90% of the tank size it is sold as.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »

Thank you! You guys are so helpful! I just bought a floating hydrometer that will read my tank's salinity much better. I can't wait to test it as soon as I get home.

Thanks again!!

Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 04:21:12 PM »

Got a new hydrometer and the reading is 1.005. It's not that bad, right?

TwoTankAmin

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »

According to my last post 1.005 is the minimum desired salinity. I have always believed in trying to build a margin of safety into things. In this case the risj is that it takes very little to slip under 1.005. I do not do sw or brackish tanks as I dislike the salt itself00 it getts all over everything. I even gave up hatching BBS because of the mess the salt made.

That said I would be inclined to raise the salinity to more like 1.007. That keeps you in a good range for now and gives you a little cushion on the downside. My understanding re these fish is you need to move them toward full brackish or even full sw as they grow.

Understanding how they reproduce etc. offers the best insight into how to proceed with them in general. The fish are born in fresh water. As they grow they move toward sw by moving downstream. The further downstream they go, the higher the salinity. Brackish is. after all, a mix of fresh and salt which is not full sw. The fish move towards more salt as they age.

In a tank there is only one level of salinity, so it become incumbent upon the fish keeper to recreate this migration process, manually. The one difference is if the fish swims downstream into to much salt, it can turn around and move back to a less salty area. Of course it can also do the reverse. Gien that there is a certain amount of individuality involved, two sibling fish may not be identical in terms of the migration speed from fw to sw. So the best we as fish keepers can do is to observe or fish. When the environment becomes problematic for a fish in a tank, they start to behave differently. It is up to us to spot this, figure out why and then proceed accordingly. In this case, if you are raising the salinity over time you should be watching them for two things.

First, observe them after you raise the salinity, if they are not ready for that level, you will see them act differently. Similarly, if they are needing more salt than you have added, you should be able to see they are not "happy."

Some of the clues our fish may provide are things like not eating, hiding, becoming lethargic. flashing (glancing off objects), erratic swimming, loss of color, not growing as it should etc. The longer you have any given fish and the more you know about its needs and behavior in general, they more adept you become at spotting potential issues.

Josuesanchez

Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:44:26 PM »

Thank you so much for your advice. You're helping me become a better and responsible fish keeper. It's so refreshing to hear from people like you guys in this forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation