Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 22, 2019, 04:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stocking advice for newbie  (Read 2497 times)
jojo79

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »

Hi,

I was hoping that I could get some help with stocking levels. I'm new to keeping fish and while my tank is being built and cycled I would like to be able to sort out the final stocking list so I know what I will be adding over the next few months.

I've been using the aqadvisor as a guide but as I have a 190l corner tank I am unable to get the correct measurements for the calculator. Depending on the measurements that I enter to get the correct volume of the tank I'm either at 88% or 121%. Obviously I don't want to be overstocking so I could do with some advice from someone who is experienced and knows what they are doing. As well as checking the stocking levels it would also be lovely if you would be so kind to check the compatibility for each fish species. I've read conflicting advice to if the boesman can live in a corner tank and if they will get on with the pearls.

I'm using the All pond solutions 2000+ so filtration is well over and I intend to do weekly water changes too. I will have live plants, caves and driftwood.

Any advice would be welcome thank you.

So far the list for the 190l corner tank is:

5 boesman rainbow (read groups of 5 should be all male or 6 should be 2 male and 4 female)
2 pearl gourami (male and female)
5 glass catfish (mix of male and female)
2 apistogramma (male and female)
12 platy (all female so eventually no fry)

I'm aware I have no bottom feeders but at the tank is behind a sofa you won't be able to see the bottom and I will be cleaning it weekly so would rather not use the bio load for corys etc.

Would this work at all? If not could you please advise what would be a better alternative. Thanks
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

Welcome to Badman's, Jojo.  We're glad that you are here.  Smiley

For those of us who think in US gallons, your tank is about 50 gallons.

Here are the profiles for the fish in which you have an interest: 
 Boesmani Rainbow:      http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile120.html     Please note that they require a good current.
Pearl Gourami:              http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile30.html     Please ntoe that they like slow water.
Glass Catfish:                http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2519&pcatid=2519
Apistogramma               We would need to know which species.  Some of them are harem breeders and others can be kept as a pair.  They re-                                    quire slow moving water and caves/hiding places.
Platy:                            http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile4.html

If you decide to keep platys in your tank, be sure that they are all males.  Females will be likely to be sold to you already pregnant.  They can hold sperm and will continue to produce fry even when no males are with them.

If I read your post correctly, you are just having your tank built?  How are you planning to cycle it?

When in doubt, do a water change.
jojo79

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

With regards to the apistogramma it was the apistogramma borellii I had been looking at which I believe is kept in pairs and recommended to have no other apistogramma with them (although I may have picked a bad source). If you could confirm if this is correct or not that would be fab.

My local aquatic shop said all male platies would bicker  between each other so to get female and if any fry survive then they would take them back. Would you say all females would be more harmonious if the fry isn't going to be an issue? I definitely don't want to keep any of them but happy to let the shop take them. I already have females in my 15 gallon tank I was going to move over so I could house a single betta in the 15 gallon.

As you mention the rainbows need faster moving water compared to the others is there anything else you could recommend as an alternative that would go with the rest of the set up?

Other than having a look at local shops for inspiration and having seeing what Google pulls up I have no idea what else I could put in there. I would ideally like something around the same size if that is possible rather than lots of tiny fish.

With regards to the cycle I was going to do the same as when I recently got the 15 gallon tank and throw in a bottle of safe start and add in drops of ammonia to do a fish less cycle. Is that what you would recommend?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd rather get things wrong on here than in the tank. I appreciate your time and help.

Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »

Here is the profile for the borellii:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile151.html     It says that more than one female should be kept with a male.  I do not keep these so do not know if this is correct information.

I kept platys long ago and never saw any important issues with multiple males.  If you are willing to constantly watch for fry, it would be okay to stock only females.

Here is the link for our whole profile page.  It gives many (but not all) profiles so that you can narrow your choices down a little.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profile.html

Seeing that you have another tank which is already cycled, what I would do is remove part of the biological portion of the filter and put it into the filter on the new tank.  That would jump start the new filter.  Then, add your platys from your 15 gallon and QT some new fish for 4-6 weeks.  Add a few at a time so that you can control any ammonia or nitrite spikes that may happen.

Many questions are  just fine with us.  We want you to succeed so would rather let you know up front what might work and might not.  Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
jerryfox

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »

Go for the Harlequin Rasboras. Great fun to watch in a school when they swim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation