Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 22, 2019, 05:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stocking Advice for 10 Gallon Tank  (Read 2985 times)
affenlab

United States United States

« on: January 26, 2016, 04:11:05 PM »

Hi,
I am new to the fish keeping hobby. I did some research, but I still have many questions. I will be getting a 10 gallon tank. I plan on cycling the tank, and using a 50 watt heater. I will have around three different plants in my tank, so it won't be too heavily planted. (I don't know if I will need more plants or not....That is one of my questions.)

First, my stocking plan:
1 male betta
6 Julii Cory Catfish
1 Platy

Is that too much for a 10 gallon tank?

My second question was about the filter. I originally planned to use two air powered sponge filters. I heard that the betta fish don't like very strong currents. Then I heard that the Cory Catfish do best with underground filters, because that keeps the sand clean and provides enough current to supply enough oxygen to the bottom of the tank, where the Catfish are. So I don't know if I should use an underground filter, sponge filters, or just forget them and use a regular filter. 

Third question. Will the Catfish breed if I intermix males and females? I really don't want a lot of baby Catfish that I have to sell or get another tank for.

Also, will the betta be okay with the platy? I have heard mixed reviews about whether they get along or not.

And, will only three live plants be enough for my tank? I want to get an Amazon Sword Plant, Water Wisteria, and a Cryptocoryne Undulata plant I found at Petsmart.

I have not tested my water yet. When I start getting my supplies ready to cycle the tank, I will buy the API Master Test Kit and test my water then. In case my water has a high ph or a low ph, how do I change the water to the proper ph? If it's only a little bit past my fish's range, would it be fine to just keep it as it is?

Thanks for any help! 
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »

Juli corys  (corydoras juli) or Three Stripe Cory ( corydoras trilineatus both grow to over 2 inches and are much too large for a 10 gallon tank.  You could have pigmy corys instead.  Here are profiles:     http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=378
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=508
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?task=&species_id=283

I personally would forego the platy in this tank.  That would leave more room for the other fish.

You don't need a UGF if you have corys.  You will keep the sand clean by vacuuming it.

In my opinion, if you want a 10 gallon tank, that is fine.  But, a 10 gallon is less forgiving of any mistakes you might make as a newbie.  If you are able to get a larger tank and will be able to keep up with maintenance on a larger one, that would be the way to go.

Do you know how to cycle a tank?  If not, here is an article about it.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1304.0

When in doubt, do a water change.
affenlab

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »

My local pet store doesn't stock any Pygmy Corys. I went to the pet store earlier today and really liked the Neon Tetras. Would they do fine in a 10 gallon tank with my betta? How many Neons could I put in the tank without overstocking it?
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »

You could have 6 neons but no betta.

Here is an article with suggestions on stocking a 10 gallon tank:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=11184.0

A 10 gallon isn't as big as you think it is.  It only holds 9.3 gallons of water if that is the only thing you have in it.  But, once you add substrate, plants, heater, filter and other decorations, the amount of water decreases.

I am not trying to discourage you.  I just want you to be aware. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
affenlab

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »

Okay, thank you for your advice! You've been very helpful!
Gregg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »

Hello,

I had a 10 gallon for quite some time, if it's what you have you have to go with that in my opinion.  When I had it I house fathead minnows which were fascinating in their own right. OK, what you might consider.  The betta may be the wild card as far as fish compatibility is concerned, and it being a larger fish would create more of a bio load.  You could do a shoal of neons that would be about it.  Corys simply love being around more the better and you must be sure they get enough food.  I would forego them with the betta there and if you still desired other fish. Though it may be small a group of 4 platys alone would be an option.  3 or 4 plants sound quite fine, your selection seems sound, but my water wisteria is slowly disappearing in the low light I have. The dwarf livebearer, AKA dwarf killifish would be an option for a 10 gallon I think, as would the small danios recently in vogue, such as the celestial pearl danio, so small and beautiful.  Because I did do well with a 10 gallon for years I'm offering suggestions. Oh, 2 sponge filters would work fine I am quite sure.

Gregg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's