Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2017, 02:46:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "subtropical" tank  (Read 865 times)
Gregg

United States United States

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« on: January 29, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »

I call it that, or them that, as the two tanks I have are unheated, room temperature. One room is cooler and the winter lows are 65F in this 15 gal. long.  The other is a 20 high that is in a family room with winter lows at 68-69F.  This was intended to answer an older post by a gentleman from South Africa but I was advised to begin a new topic.  As well, the summer temps in both can be over 80F.  Let me say that I would like to update to more tanks with a better lighting system and substrate but I must work with what I have, gravel and stock hoods and bulbs, in both an 18" t8 lamp of 15 watts.  Both are community tanks and planted with anubias and java fern, with pennywort floating in both, and an addition of some Najas guadalupensis, guppy grass and java moss in the more lit 15 gallon tank which receives daily sunlight.  I'd love to show pictures but don't believe I've obtained 6 posts yet.  I have kept some native fish which were stressed during the summer and invasives which have done well locally, especially the fathead minnow and the dojo loach (which needed a larger tank so don't use them any longer.)  I so enjoy the fathead, but found them to be better with a single species tank.  Maybe someone knows better.  Currently in the 15 gallon I have 6 white clouds and 3 adult generic platys which even birthed at 65F.  I should say there are also 4 baby platys, very small, taken from a fry 2.5 gallon tank (fish from the larger) that can survive since I just recently released 3 native shiners back to the wild.  (Cold release but I think they are OK.) The 20 gallon has 8 white clouds, 5 bloodfin tetras and 4 black skirt tetras (the hardiest fish I can imagine.)  I would love to someday have checkered barbs, dwarf golden barbs, dwarf livebearers (dwarf killifish) , leopardfish, (Phaloceros caudimaculatus) and other wish list fish.  With a larger tank I can I can pine for even more such as the Buenos Aires tetra and the peppered cory. This aspect limits me perhaps but it is challenging and fun. By the way, this is in SW Idaho.

Gregg
Gregg

United States United States

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »

I guess I'm trolling for your cool water experiences, set ups, comments.

Gregg

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's