Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2018, 11:36:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting 1.5 Gal Shrimp Tank  (Read 4185 times)
FishLover123
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »

I have 1 male betta in a 1.5 gallon, with an anubias nana and water sprite plant. I am planning on moving him to the 20 gallon. I know what most of you are going to say..he can be aggressive. He has never flared, and seems not to take any notice of other shrimp or fish. I will keep a very close eye on him when I transfer him(won't be for a little while). If he gets aggressive I can take him out and either switch up the plants or remove him to a different tank. I have finally saved up money from working and doing chores. I want to buy some more plants, maybe a java fern or some hornwort perhaps? I am looking at CRS and Cherry Shrimp on the website Shrimp USA. They have cheaper shrimp but seem healthy. I can't afford 10 shrimp for $30 though...I love Cherries and CRS, and tigers too. The only shrimp my LFS has are Ghost. I also found a good sponge filter(I won't be using the DIY one I made, it's junky). Will fancier shrimp like CRS be okay in cooler water(70-75 degreed F)? The temp will rise and fall between day and night. I am very interested in shrimp and would love any ideas or suggestions. Thanks for any help!  happy
~FishLover123
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »

I have a couple of issues with your plans.  The first is that you have a fish in your  20 gallon with fin/tail rot.  He is presently in a 1 gallon zip lock bag in that tank.  You don't know when and/or if the other fish in that tank will come down with fin/tail rot.  You don't know the readings for your water parameters.   I wouldn't put another fish in there until you know for sure that everyone is healthy.  That means at least 4-6 weeks.

The other issue is that you have 4 male fancy guppies in the 20.  Your betta will see their tails and more than likely consider them as rivals for the female that he is just sure is going to come swimming by.  There will be a war.

Why not put that ailing guppy into a hospital tank and treat him?  Save your money some more and get your hospital/QT tank, another heater and a test kit.  You already have your old filter for it.  That would be the smart thing for you to do. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
FishLover123
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »

You do make good points, I am not planning to put him in there unitl the fin rot goes away. Only problem is that I have stated many times that I can not and really aren't allowed to(parents) buy another ten gallon, or a heater or even a test kit. I am only 13. Yes. That young. I wish sometimes I could make my own decisions but it was hard enough to convince my parents to let me buy the bigger filter...I'm sorry but they won't let me. No matter what I say. I couldn't even convince them to let me buy snails and an oto! I put a sponge filter in the bag for him...it's the best I can give him besides euthanasia........I'm sorry..
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »

Are they allowing you to buy shrimp??

FishLover123
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:19 PM »

Yes...why?
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »

I will keep a very close eye on him when I transfer him(won't be for a little while). If he gets aggressive I can take him out and either switch up the plants or remove him to a different tank.

It seems unusual that they will not permit equipment for the fish that you have but WILL allow you to buy more creatures.

As per the quote above, what tank would you be transferring the betta to if he starts killing your guppies?

FishLover123
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »

I have an emty 3 gallon from when I had a female betta(Uranus) I can use.
Pat Mary

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »

Then why is that guppy floating in a zip lock bag???

FishLover123
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »

I don't have a heater for the 3 gallon and I didn't want him to freeze to death...
Pat Mary

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »

The range of temperature for guppies is 64F to 84F.  Put him into that tank.

You also said that you have a sponge filter in that 1 gallon bag..  Put that into the 3 gallon.  You also said you found another sponge filter that your parents apparently are allowing you to buy.

FishLover123
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »

Ok then! I want to buy a better sponge filter for the shrimp. I am actually wanting to buy cherries, I still can't really decide, they are so expensive!
Pat Mary

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:36 PM »

I give up.  Do what you want.  You have never followed advice before so I don't know why I thought you would now.

FishLover123
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »

I'm sorry...is it something I said?? I just thought a better sponge filter would be better for the shrimp. The guppy is now in the 3 gallon w/the sponge filter I made. I have no idea why you are always so angry with me...I know I used to not listen but I AM trying! When I said "ok then!" in the last post I was saying it in a good way, not a bad way...if you give up than I give up. Bye.

Bye forever Pat Mary, FishLover123 signing out.
cannsyl

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »

Ok I'm going to try to help you out here.  So you have a 20 gallon tank with guppies and a sponge filter right and you have a 3 gallon and another sponge filter that you can put your sick guppy in right.  Ok
So for now put the sick guppy in the 3 gallon with a filter it doesn't need a heater as long as your house stays above 65 degrees which it should if you have a heater in your home.
Don't move the betta until you know the other guppies are not sick (4 to 6 weeks). 
Don't buy any other fish or shrimp or snails until you know all the fish are healthy (4-6 weeks...I would wait two months just to be on the safe side).
Save up your money until then. 
If at that time you want to move the betta in with the guppies (probably not the best idea because he'll probably kill some of your guppies) move him then.
If you can't move the betta in with the guppies or have to move him back to the 3 gallon you can put a few shrimp in the 20 with the guppies if you get them.
If you still want cherry shrimp (CRS and Cherries are the same thing some may just be a darker color but they are the exact same shrimp) put them in the 3 gallon with the sponge filter.
There isn't really much you can do the the 1.5 gallon tank...no creature would be very happy with it and its hard to keep clean and stable it would be like you having to live in your closet and never leave, like never not to go to the bathroom or take a shower or breath fresh air or anything not even stroll to the kitchen.  It would be no fun and you would be miserable so don't do it to another creature.
Since you say your parents won't let you buy a test kit, I guess the best you can do is make sure you have great maintenance 50% or more water changes each week vacuum the gravel keep everything clean but don't wash your sponge under the tap only in old tank water and just a good swish should be fine no need to wring it out.
This is a lot of information so make sure to read it a few times and print it out if you need to.
It is very important for the health of your fish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation