Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 26, 2017, 06:14:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottom brace on 75 gallon  (Read 4616 times)
Sheralyn

United States United States

« on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:44 PM »

I have a 75 gallon Top Fin aquarium that I want to paint the bottom. Can I remove the bottom brace? Common sense tells me this brace is unnecessary to the stability but maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am...thanks, Sherry
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »

Hi Sherry,

The bottom center brace should not be removed. The center brace should be part of the overall trim that is affixed to the bottom of the tank, same as the top. The whole trim of an aquarium (top and bottom) is one big brace that keeps the structural integrity of the tank. The trim sections keep the ends and bottom glass tight. Aquarium glass will varying degrees of 'bowing' once completely filled. Without the trim bracing (and center bracing on larger tanks), excess pressure will be placed of the silicone joints that hold the aquarium glass together.

Hence, removing the bracing is not recommended. As far as painting the bottom of the tank....If you are spray painting the bottom, just spray the brace along with the glass bottom. ........Unless you are planning on painting the bottom to leave some or all of the bottom visible and the brace will be interrupting the aesthetics? Don't compromise the tank for aesthetics in that regard.   happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 211 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »

If you mean the plastic frame around them bottom no it shouldnt be removed permanently...

But what you can do is remove it temporarily to allow you to paint the tank bottom and then put it back on afterwards...

Usually they are held in place with small amounts of silicone...You can cut through this with a sharp thin blade (carefully)

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Sheralyn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »

Russ - I just don't see it? - I understand the brace is very necessary for the top as it IS what keeps the glass from bowing. But the bottom is basically one big euro-brace because the bottom glass is siliconed all the way around to all four sides and the bottom frame keeps the corners tight. As for painting over the outside of the brace it looks terrible on the inside of the tank. Angry   I wish I wasn't so picky about how it looks LOL

Gunnered72 - I only want to cut off the center strap brace on the bottom - it's made just like the center brace on the top.

Thanks guys!
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »

Sherry,

Do you plan on having just a bare bottom tank or will the bottom have a gravel or sand bed? If you will be employing a gravel or sand bed on the bottom, what difference would leaving the brace in-place be? You indicated that the brace looks terrible on the inside of the tank. Now I just don't see it. If removing the bottom brace works, I guess that is what counts, but I still offer caution.  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 196 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Sheralyn

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »

oh noooooooo...... 80 
I have way too much respect for your opinion and not nearly enough confidence in my own to try it.... but I am still researching the subject...

I will not have any substrate. I did my 29 gallon bottom with textured granite stone paint and it looks wonderful, all grainy and speckly just like sand but so clean. I wanted to do the 75 in black, it's glittery speckly. Much less time consuming than vacuuming gravel. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me what you think proud
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »

Sounds like a plan! It would be interesting to see after a complete set up  happy

* Remembering Steve 02[1].gif (2.59 KB, 100x148 - viewed 201 times.)

(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:32 PM »

Sounds like a plan! It would be interesting to see after a complete set up  happy
Agreed, please post pics.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Sheralyn

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »

well I sent inquiries to both Marineland and PetSmart. Although I have not yet received a reply from PetSmart I did from Marineland:

"Thank you for contacting us.  It does not pertain to the structural integrity of the tank, however, any alteration to the tank voids the warranty, and that would include if you cut the frame."

I am not particularly concerned about the warranty; in my experience if an item fails it generally does so 2 weeks after the warranty expires. Of course, Marineland tanks may be made better than my TopFin.

I have also painted the back with that blue Plasti-dip and it is so bright and pretty. And will just peel off if I decide to change it. When I get enough posts (10?) I will post a picture.

Sheralyn

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »

Well I received a response from Petsmart and they said "the bottom brace was important to the integrity of the tank because the silicone might not be enough". (I still suspect that answer is very probably the "standard corporate answer"). I get what they are saying, but it sure looks like it is WELL siliconed to me!  confused

Then I got to thinking  idea(dangerous territory LOL)...   I have the tank set up on painted 2x8's. There is a little bit of tacky paint on the tank's bottom frame edges. When I emptied and moved the tank last time it was semi *stuck* to the painted boards. Not hard to lift off, but it CERTAINLY is not going to slide around. So - the frame being stuck to the boards is just another force holding the bottom of the tank "solid". The weight of the water actually mashes it down harder and makes it harder to slide. And then I had the epiphany that I can always tack a thin wood "stop" front and back at the midway point if it seems necessary... Yep - I think I have just about talked myself in to it......
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »

Lets put the warrantee issues aside for a moment. Your aquarium structure and frame must deal with internal forces for each piece involved after construction. The tank stand, which we will leave out for at this time, also has the same forces. But, back to the tank itself... These internal forces are shear force, tension force and bending force (or bending movement). Tension forces applies to horizontal force going in opposite directions within a beam or structure component . Shear forces apply to vertical force going in opposite directions within a beam or structure component. Bending force or movement applies to the other two forces when an external force (such as pressure or a weighted object) is applied to a beam or structure component.  nerd

The main external forces that are being applied to your aquarium structure (and each individual tank component) is water and atmosphere; and of course any type of canopy atop the tank. Now, think about just assembling your aquarium without silicone. You could arrange the glass pieces in a shape, then place the plastic trim pieces in place along the top and bottom (or perhaps it would be easier to arrange the glass pieces atop the bottom trim and then put the top trim in place). Fill it up with water and see what happens. We know what happens  happy Now reassemble using silicone and letting it cure. Depending on the size of the aquarium and the internal and external forces that will be applied, will basically determine it's integrity and ability to keep it's shape. The larger the tank and the greater amount of water will dictate what will be required in the manufacturing process to counter the internal and external forces that are placed on the tank structure.

Bottom line.................The manufacture has already determined this for you.  They determined that a bottom cross brace is required  Wink

(George Bernard Shaw)
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »

I dont see why you dont just gently remove it and then put it back after you paint the bottom......    confused

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 08:46:18 PM »

I dont see why you dont just gently remove it and then put it back after you paint the bottom......    confused

All the tank trim that I have ever encountered is molded in one piece. It would be an unrealistic project to cut it, then try to hot mold it back together. If anything, use a small paint brush to catch the area between the trim brace and tank bottom. The gap is small, but not impossible for that.  happy

(George Bernard Shaw)
Sheralyn

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »

I contacted a company who have been in the aquarium industry for 40 years, and who now specialize in replacement frames. I was told that while the top frame brace is imperative, the bottom is made on the same mold and the brace is there simply because the frame can be used for either top or bottom. And IF the tank is made as it should be, I could remove the bottom brace. So I bit the bullet and did so about 3 weeks ago.
Sheralyn

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »

well I tried to add picture but I didn't do it right  confused
Sheralyn

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »

Just an FYI update on the bottom brace topic - I carefully removed the bottom brace on that tank and then bought another tank (same model) and removed that one also. As of this time almost 3 months later I have had no issues with either.

Also of note is that I placed both tanks on a somewhat freshly painted (though dry) surface; once full of water, it is a given that they are somewhat "stuck" to the surface as opposed to placing them on a slick/slidey surface. This would obviously help in bracing the bottom frame, not that I think it is necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation