Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 21, 2019, 10:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stocking question? 50 gal reg tank  (Read 2892 times)
Myselfie

« on: February 21, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »

So i have had my tank up and running for almost two years now? Give or take.  It was very lightly stocked as of late as i didn't know what i wanted to add. I have lots of wisteria, a water lily, and an apontogeon (sp?) for plants, 4 large areas for hiding, a "tree trunk, castle, ship and a smaller  pirate chest"  all in a 50 gallon with 2 aquaclear filters for a 40-60 gallon for proper filtration. I do 30% water change twice weekly.  And the tank is heated. 

This is what i have stocked so far: please advise as well.
3 Raphael catfish (stripped) the fish store told me they dont get bigger than 4-5 inches.  They are 3.5in now and a year and a half old.
1 clown pleco (its spotted) the store told me they are very active! He likes to hide. He is 1.5 inches right now.  How big can they really get? 
3 platties (1 male, 2 females)
6 guppies (2 males, 4 females) 

how am I on the bio load? Do I have room for a school of zebra danios? Maybe one bigger type fish who wouldn't ming eating fry? Any ideas?
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »

I think you are pushing it with four bottom dwellers.  A 50 gallon tank measures 36 x 18 x 18.  You have 3 fish that will reach a maximum of 7 inches in length (theraphaels) and  one that will be about 5 inches in length (the clown pleco).  Here is the profile for the clown pleco.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile80.html       Please note that the pleco requires wood to rasp upon plus veggies in his diet. 

I wouldn't add any danios because the livebearers will overstock you soon enough.

One thing that I would like to mention is that you should never purchase fish before you research them.  You need to know if you can provide proper housing and food so that they will thrive in your tank. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Myselfie

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:44:34 PM »

A year and a half ago, i did trust my local mom and pop store.  I was going in to get one algea eater and they told me the raphs will eat anything and will stay small.  So they were a better choice than corries for a 50 gallon.  And only one would be lonely.  They would become stressed and needed a group of at least 3.  I have since fell in love with them, but no they do not eat algea. 

I do not go to that store at all. 

I have a friend with a  large pond who is looking for a bottom dweller.   I could part with one, maybe two raphs.  But i have one black and tan stripe i'm partial to. 

And i was thinking of taking the smaller treasure chest out and placing drift wood instead. 
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »

I didn't mean to upset you.  I just meant that you should always research any fish that piques your interest.  Then you would learn their requirements.  For instance, corys are not algae eaters.  It's good that you will be placing driftwood in the tank. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »

I got Ninja'd while typing this reply. I gotta remember not to take a break and leave a partial reply open. Anyway, here goes.........

Your existing bio load is a bit light, but that is fine. It gives you a chance add a few more fish. What type of Raphael cats do you have and do you ever see them? Your Clown pleco can grow to 3.5-4 inches. I would recommend adding a small piece of driftwood to your tank. That will be almost a must for those little guys. I'm not sure how a school of Zebra Danios plus a larger fish to handle the fry would work. I guess it would be a matter of personal taste, but you would certainly have room for a group of 12 or so. A fish that may work ok for your fry situation would be an Angelfish or two. They are best natural fry trimmers that I know of. To do any good in that department, they would need to have developed in body size to at least silver dollar size. Would not likely find ones that size in your typical box store though.

I should also add, that if you go with the danios, then I would not recommend any other fish. Without the danios, then I would go with the Angel fish.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Myselfie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »

I originally wanted ottos for the clean up crew but they were not availible.  So my second runner up was corries (6-8) and snails. But the mom and pop store talked me out of the corries and told me the snails were no longer availible. 

Yesterday I went to Petco and got a large/medium sized driftwood for my pleco.  And picked up a few tiny snails.  i have expierience with them in the past, and love them rather than hate them.  Petco gave them to me for free.  The only main issue I have is I bought some small algea wafers for my pleco, and my catfish are loving them instead.   

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »

The wafers shouldn't necessarily be a bad issue. Almost all fishes will munch on them.  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 190 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's