Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2017, 02:38:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any way to modify versa tops to fit?  (Read 1454 times)
cmoorewv

« on: March 13, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »

I ordered versa tops for my 75 gallon tanks and they're not quite wide enough to fit into the frame without following through. Rather than go through the hassle of returning them through the mail and ordering new ones, is there any way to frame them up for use? Each piece is 22 1/8 inch wide which should work on paper. Marineland tops are 22 3/4 which is probably what I should have bought. I'm thinking of trying a couple pieces of tile board moulding on each side because I hate to go through returning them. What I'd pay for in molding is probably less than I'd eat in shipping. Would this work?
cmoorewv

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »

That should've read falling through, not following through.
cmoorewv

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:22 PM »

Another issue I have is cats that like to fish. From what I read, versa tops do not hold up to a full grown cat. I have cats that like to "fish". What is the safest way to cover my tanks?
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:55:01 AM »

By versa top, do you mean just a strip light? What do you have covering the top of the tank now?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
cmoorewv

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »

Nothing right now. They're not set up yet. By Versa Top, I just mean a brand of glass cover. The kind that lays within the frame of the tank rather than a hood with light fixtures
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »

Different tank makers use different frames that require slightly different size tops. Versatops are the old All Glass, Now Aqueon brand. Perfecto is now owned by Marineland which is part of the pet Supplies division of the conglomerate Spectrum brands which also owns Tetra and  Instant Ocean plus six on fish pet companies.

I have a similar problem but it is with a 30 gal. breeder tank. The glass is a tad to short such that if it is pushed either as far towards one end of the other it can fall into the tank. Its a pita. I thought the tank was an AllGlass as I got it in about 2002 or 2003. I know the lid is a Versatop. The cheapest and safest alternative is to replace the two back glass panels at a glass shop. Have them made wider. Then just remove the existing ones from the hinge and put in the new ones in their place. A light sits on the back panel and it would also support the front one which should still rest its front edge on the front lip.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »

Ah, yes, I remember the Versa Tops now. I also remember that they come with a clear plastic strip to cover the gap space in the back of the tank to accommodate filter and other equipment. Here is an idea which may save time and expense of changing the rear glass panel....Cut small sections of the clear plastic strip and simply extend those beyond the back and front edges of your canopy so that those rest on the inside trim. That should work. Still remains a slight pita, but no extra expense. A bit of silicone or hot glue added to keep them in place should also help. Just need a bit.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 88 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
cmoorewv

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:03:36 PM »

It's side to side where I'm having the problem. They're just a fraction on an inch too small to fit securely. The front to back measurement is not as critical. Would that fix still apply?
cmoorewv

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 11:10:25 PM »

I'm thinking I I may just have to return these. Unless I can maybe get two pieces of glass for each lid cut just a bit wider and attaching the versa tops to them somehow. I'm not sure if they would open properly though. This has been a frustrating process finding all the proper equipment.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:46 AM »

It's side to side where I'm having the problem. They're just a fraction on an inch too small to fit securely. The front to back measurement is not as critical. Would that fix still apply?

I forgot to ask if your 75 gal tank has a center brace? If so, then see options below. Also, do you have any idea the brand of your tank?

Both recommendations are 'fixes'. If you mean tile 'backer board', not tile board, then I guess that would be another option. I don't think the tile or backer board would be the aesthetically the best fix option though. So now I guess you have four options.

*  Return the canopy and get a new one that may fit better (time and shipment $)
*  Have a new rear glass piece cut a bit wider (Some extra time and some $)
*  Use tile or backer board to fill the gap (Some DYI and the least aesthetically option)
*  Cut some corners from the clear plastic gap plate and position them so they are slightly extended in order to rest on trim (easiest option with no extra cost)

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 84 times.)

(George Bernard Shaw)
cmoorewv

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »

They do have center braces. I'm not sure of the brand. They are second hand. One has a black frame and one has a wood grain looking frame. I know that doesn't help ID the brand but they seem to be the same dimension. I'll check the bottom of the tank this evening for the brand.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »

If your aquarium has a center brace, then the options presented above should work fine. No need to check the brand.  Smiley

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 89 times.)

(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's