Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2018, 02:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Gourami swallowed his modified pelvic fin! Help?  (Read 1456 times)
ghersh

« on: March 16, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »

I just noticed that my Pearl Gourami while eating his dinner accidentally swallowed his long modified pelvic "fin".  That's right, it loops right around into his mouth and I'd say 80% of it is down the hatch.  Questions:  Should I assume that he can "fix" this himself?  Will it eventually rot away in his stomach?  Will it grow back?  Should I try to "rescue" him?  He will eat out of my fingers in the morning.  Should I try to grab it and pull it out?  Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?  Thanks.  fish06
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »

If it's stuck in his mouth and throat, it seems doubtful that he will be able to dislodge it or completely swallow it. Carefully net him, wet your hands in water, if the fin is still attached to the fish's body, use a pencil (not pen), wet the tip of he pencil and carefully leverage the fin out of his mouth while gently, very gently, but firm enough to keep him from flopping, and in a single steady motion................yank it out! Place the fish back into the tank. This needs to be done purposely, but quickly. If the fin is not still attached to the fish's body, then use a needle nose plyers or tweezers to yank it out. I doubt it will digest in his stomach.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 148 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
ghersh

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  When we got up this morning he had "regurgitated" most of his "fin".  It is a little shorter and looks a little rough, but didn't require rescue (thank goodness).
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »

That is good news. The most favorable solution indeed  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's