Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 01:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon sword  (Read 2689 times)
Dea_88

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

« on: March 17, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »

Earlier today i spotted yellow spots on one of the leaves and now they are gone.
i was wondering (hoping) if it is possible that that were spores Smiley (dont laugh) if not, any opinion what they might have been
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »

I'm going to borrow this from Zapins.............

"Probably nitrogen. In particular I have noticed Amazon Swords have always needed extra iron or they seem to develop new growth problems such as new growth being yellowish and pale also leaves are brittle. So you might want to keep an eye out for this problem as it seems to be pretty common.

But nitrogen will primarily cause yellowing in old leaves and small newly formed leaves rather then lush and large old ones. Also, more severe characteristics of nitrogen deficiency can be seen when the root system is overly large compared with the supporting leaves and the new growth becomes so pale that it appears white or transparent in conjunction with the fact that the old leaves are non existent. The deficiency occurs in the old leaves rather then the new leaves because the plant is actually taking nitrogen from the structure of the old leaf and using it to grow new leaves. However, after the old leaves have been stripped they tend to decompose rather quickly and will become riddled with holes. Iron cannot be taken from old leaves because it is not mobile inside the plants' cells.

Thus it is possible to see the difference between a nitrogen deficiency and an iron deficiency even though both are characterized by yellowing since Iron deficiencies (yellowing/brittleness) can be seen mostly in the new leaves, and for nitrogen yellowing normally occurs in the old leaves and is soon followed by holes if not corrected.

For the future:
When describing plant deficiencies it is very important to describe exactly what the leaves/stems/roots look like in detail. For some examples:

-Look at the color of the veins on new/old growth as these are also good places to look for deficiencies.
-Other good signs are root size,
-Color of new/old leaves
-Brittleness of plant/stems
-Small holes (pinholes)
-Large chunky holes
-Yellowing between the veins on leaves
-Yellowing/discoloration along the edges of the leaves, or in the middle.
-Also any leaf deformities are important, the size of new leaves vs old leaves are also important."

I hope he chimes in. He is a very good plant guy  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Dea_88

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

Smiley so i might have described it wrong its more like a yellow micro ball and it sits on top of the leaf its not the coloration of the leaf and when i tried to push it with the net it didn't move of fall or anything...the next day they were gone. the coloration of the leafs looks good the older one are little darker the the new ones. when i bought the plant it had a trumpet snail on it and i removed it after i put it in the water because that is when i noticed it...
i tried looking online but couldn't find anything. so thats why i asked is it possible spores or maybe young trumpet snails...they are really small
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »

If you saw a snail on the plant you can be absolutely guaranteed there were more that you couldnt see...I believe what you saw where snail eggs or snail babies...They are tiny! and they reproduce like crazy when they have the right conditions (Usually in a dirty aquarium with dirty gravel or sand)

Its very common for snails of all kinds to come into aquariums on plants...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Dea_88

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 07:07:16 AM »

they were snails i saw one tiny on the glass
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation