Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2017, 04:29:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kuhli loach's water parameters  (Read 1218 times)
Blaze

United States United States

« on: March 19, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »

I have been planning to add a school of Kuhli loach's to my community tank. However, I'm a bit concerned about my water parameters.
I have a very stable tank on a drip system:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5-10

My concern is PH and hardness.
PH 7.8
KH 90
GH 190

These are a bit high for loach's and I'm wondering if they will adapt and be comfortable.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »

I would offer two sites as references and you can decide for yourself. I would be worried about the hardness more than the pH. Also the most appropriate setup would be planted and have either a sand type substrate and/or leaf litter to make the fish feel comfortable.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-semicincta
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Pangio-semicincta/

Now the above has assume which species called kuhli you are getting. Loaches.com lists 14 different Pangio species that get called kuhli. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index While seriously fish lists 15 http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/search/Pangio/

Fish don't really adapt as much as they can survive conditions somewhat out of their parameter range.

If you read on the different kuhli species you will see some are listed in a wide range of params. This is because their can be populations which have become adapted to different conditions which often exist in fw habitats, even in the same country or region.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »

I honestly dont see any problems unless they are wild caught fish....With wild caught fish you have to try mimic the environment they came from...Most tank bred fish dont have that problem as they have been bred over generations and have adapted to various water parameters...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Blaze

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »

I have lots of fake plants and hiding places and sand substrate.

I intend to get pangio kuhli (not weeks caught), of course some of the others look very similar and therefore may get mislabeled...

I'm glad the pH doesn't seem to concern you guys. What about the hardness? My carbonate hardness is ok I think, but my general is pretty high right? Is there a way to bring that down a bit (consistently, as I am constantly adding hard water to the system with my drip system)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation