Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 01:55:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna) social?  (Read 2077 times)
Sarabi

Tanks: 75 Gallon schooling community (Panda Cories, Harlequin Rasboras, Gold Tetras, Praecox Rainbows); 5 Gallon (Caspian the doubletail betta, Callahan the Olive Nerite Snail, Java Fern, Anubias); 10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Species Tank (in progress)

« on: March 20, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »

I'm trying to decide whether I should keep a Honey Gourami alone or in a group.  In the past I just kept a lone female Honey Gourami, but now I'm doing more research and hearing that more people are keeping them in groups.  I wouldn't want to risk aggression with a male with breeding (either guarding the eggs from my community fish or toward the female), but I am considering getting multiple females if they like company.

Would multiple females do better together than a lone female?  What interactions and aggression have you seen between your females?  Do they hang out together, or do they just pick out territories through the tank and guard those from each other?  Do they seek out each other's company?  Have you ever had any harm done to females by other females when keeping them in groups?  Any other observations you've seen with yours would be great. 
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »

You can keep them alone, in a pair or in a group of males and females depending on the size of the tank...

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-chuna/

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »

They can be kept in small groups. As gunnered mentioned, that would depend on tank size and structure. My husband and I have kept these Honeys and they are great in a low-keyed community tank. If you are keeping other fish that may require a higher water current, then I would not recommend Honey Gouramis. They would not be comfortable in that situation.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Sarabi

Tanks: 75 Gallon schooling community (Panda Cories, Harlequin Rasboras, Gold Tetras, Praecox Rainbows); 5 Gallon (Caspian the doubletail betta, Callahan the Olive Nerite Snail, Java Fern, Anubias); 10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Species Tank (in progress)

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »

The tank is 75 gallons.  One side has an Aquaclear filter, and has very little water movement in that half of the tank.  The other has a Penguin Biowheel, and has fairly strong current.  In the past my Gourami girl swam some on the left, but avoided the surface right by the Biowheel for the most part, and seemed to prefer the other half of the tank, so I think for usable Gourami space the tank would probably function as smaller than a 75 gallon.  

Here is the tank:  

If you look I have 2 big floating plants, and then that huge plant on the side that my last Gourami seemed to treat as a floating plant.  I would probably buy more floating plants if I got a group of Honeys.  

Tank mates:
10 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Cardinal Tetras
8 Gold Tetras
7 Black Neon Tetras
Over a dozen Panda Corycats (they are always breeding, so I'm a little fuzzy on the current number.  Right now there are 4 juveniles that I know of)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 11:21:26 PM »

Very nice looking set up.  happy

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
superfish

Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »

For a bigger tank size they look peaceful and cute.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation