Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2018, 11:46:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fish are dying  (Read 2280 times)
Sheralyn

United States United States

« on: March 24, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »

I have been losing fish and can't figure out why. They don't seem to have any disease - It seems like maybe it's the water but I can't see how or why.
Tank Size: 29 gallon

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc):
Aquaclear 70 with medium sponge, floss in a bag, and biohome media. An air stone on opposite side. (I did put a bag of charcoal in for 3 days at beginning of week also)

How long has your tank been set up: about 6-8 months

Using a liquid reagent test kit, please provide the following:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: <5
PH: 7.6

Temperature: 80

Substrate: none

Décor/Live or fake plants: 5-6 plastic plants

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc):
30% every weekend; and all this week 15% daily (pristine buckets). I suction the bottom and move & jiggle the plants and get all the crud out of them. I add the prime to the bucket as it fills. I am careful that my hands are well rinsed prior.

Dechlorinator: 2-3 drops per gallon prime

Who lives in your tank? Include a listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants.
Was: 5 platys & 12 fry, 1 molly, 3 ottos, 6 peppered cories
Now: 2 platys & 5 fry, 1 sickly molly, 3 ottos, 4 cories
I had the cories and the fry for a while, and added the rest over the last 3-4 weeks.
What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start:
no fuzzies or spots - just some shimmies and weakness, folded fins, then loss of coordination and death.
Thanks for any suggestions.

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »

Fish showing a general sign of weakness with folded fins are indicative of water quality issues or a significant pH change(s) within a short period of time. Also, when performing a tank water quality test, test the tap water. If your water quality checks out, then I would assume some type of parasitc infection. With no immediate visible signs, they could be located in the gills. Turn filter off (temporarily) to allow water surface tension to stabilize and get calm. Then, observe from above still leaving the light on. Is there a golden-like sheen observed on the fish that is not part of their normal color pattern? Since you mentioned you have a bare bottom tank, line the bottom, sides and back of the tank with dark (preferably black) construction paper and then observe your fish from the front of the tank. You will be able to spot any external maladies easier with the darker backgrounds.

Double check your protocols when this started to occur. Was the environment surrounding the tank on the day before you started noticing symptoms different than on any regular day?

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 526 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Sheralyn

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:39 AM »

thanks Russ - I will double scrutinize said fishies when I get home (stupid job -  lame) I am leaning toward parasites too because I also have a 75g with 15 white clouds, 7 ryukin & a bristlenose use same water no problems (knock on wood). I think the platies I bought came with a little something extra - and I have to confess I have been an aquasinner in that I have never had/used a quarantine tank and I think I will remedy that this weekend. I don't have a lot of money to blow but Petsmart has a 10 gallon glass tank on sale for $12 and I have an extra heater - think I will get another air pump (multi-use) and an old fashioned box filter (they're cheap), and one of those little clip-on desk lamps from Wallyworld (again multi-use) - if I only fill the tank little over half full I shouldn't need a canopy. Would that make a good QT? Nice thing about using the clip on lamp is that I can choose the bulb brightness and also position it so as to have a dim side in the tank for stressed out newcomers.....  lightbulb
KiloG

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »

Petco has their $1 per gallon sale going on starting Sunday and going through begining of may

20g soon to be shell dweller tank
10g planted betta tank with 3 ottos and some ghost shrimp
65g 4 regular 4 green and 5 albino tiger  barbs, 3 pitcus cat, 1common pleco, 6 kuhli loaches, and a Firemouth
Sheralyn

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »

thanks KiloG - tempting LOL but I just need a small QT tank.

thanks Russ - the only thing I can see is the Cories have a red/bloody nose a couple of hours before they die. And for some reason, the 10% PWC seems to set it off.....yet I don't think there's anything wrong with the water. Same water I've always had, same water I am putting in the other tank. I haven't driven to town and purchased any medications because I just don't have enough fish left to warrant the cost at this time. I think I am going to go ahead and set up the QT tank and move the few fish left into that, then clean my infected tank and see if I can get rid of whatever may be living in it. Is there any way to use my existing bio-media from the infected tank in the QT tank? Can I rinse it well in conditioned water, or maybe give it a salt bath?
Sheralyn

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »

I MAY have solved the mystery - Upon taking the plants out of the tank and beginning to empty it, I noticed a smear of dirty brown water on my thumb; a closer look reveals it came off the ceramic base of one of my plants. There were three of them that the brown was dissolving from the ceramic base, they appear to have been painted or something. I order all my plastic plants from China and it looks like some nimrod might have painted these. That could explain why things seemed to get worse after a PWC. I may have been removing 10-20% of the bad water but I jiggle and shake the plants to get out any detritus and also I pour my new water in rather violently because I don't have gravel, which would release a lot of toxin.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »

Painted and tainted ceramic fake plant bases from China? Imagine that. I'm glad yo were able to pin that down to the structure in your tank. How are the fish dong?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's