Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 29, 2017, 08:31:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap tanks  (Read 1668 times)
KiloG

« on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »

Petco has their $1 per gallon tank sale going on starting sunday and going through begining of may.
All tanks from 10g to 55g.

Thought some of ya might like to know.

20g soon to be shell dweller tank
10g planted betta tank with 3 ottos and some ghost shrimp
65g 4 regular 4 green and 5 albino tiger  barbs, 3 pitcus cat, 1common pleco, 6 kuhli loaches, and a Firemouth
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »

It is not actually all tanks it is specifically 10, 20, 20L, 29, 40 and 55 only and does not include tops. This is about the only thing I ever buy at PectCo. In fact I have probably purchased more than a dozen tanks over the years at these sales. Most recently I grabbed 2 x 20L and a 29. However, I buy the tops online as they are a lot cheaper that way. Oddly enough I buy the tops from DrsFosterSmith.com which is owned by Petco.

There are a few sizes between 10 and 55 not included in the sale: 15, 25, 30, 30B, 40L, 45 and 50 all of which I have owned save the 30.  

Also pat attention to brand. For a while they switched to Perfecto/Marineland tanks and only recently did they return to offering Aqueon (aka AllGlass). I avoid the former and always look for Aqueon at these sales- just my personal opinion here.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
curve

I LOVE MY BULLDOG

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »

TwoTankAmin just curious why you prefer Aqueon?  Both brands are made in the USA, both brands use the annealed glass, both brands use the same 6mm sides/8mm ends and bottom glass thickness, and both brands have tempered glass on all panels.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »

My preference was the Oceanic tanks, but handle them with care. It is a PITA if a panel gets cracked. My favorite size tank is the Oceanic 58 gal. Out of warrantee and damaged during a move, I tried to fix it myself and wound up breaking an additional panel.
It's now a terrarium. Still like them though.  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Donnewany

Thailand Thailand

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »

All you have to offer, I read constantly. Because it benefit me most.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:22:58 AM »

Sorry for not answering curve back when the post above ws made.

Aqueon is the old AllGlass Brand, they have been around a long time. I have and old style 75 gal. tank from the 1980s- no center brace. It still holds water. I am trying to give it away.

My early experiences with Perfecto led me not to use anything by them. My first DIY repurposing was to convert a 3 foot long Perfecto strip light which had never worked well from the start to house a power compact lighting setup from AH Supply.

AllGlass/Aqueon and Perfecto tanks of "comparable" sizes are not identical, there are slight differences with the result being one cannot really interchange lids or other parts. This is important as I have bought about 50 tanks over the years and have had about 20 running for the past decade. I try to standardize things-  by having five 20 longs means I can put one spare lid on the shelf. The same applies to filters and other items used in multiple tanks. I will confess all my tanks are not Aqueons. I also have tanks from glasscages.com. I have a few of their 33 longs and a 45 long. Their tanks are not interchangeable with either Aqueon or Perfecto.

Over the years I have bought a bunch of my tanks at the buck a gallons sales, 10s , 20Ls, 29s and even a 40B. But I never bought the lids with them. those were ordered online and were cheaper that way.

I am one of those fish keepers who does things on a scale well above the average fish keeper who has a tank or maybe 2. However, I am not at the level of even a small business. So most of what I purchase is done retail. Because it is more of everything than normal, I work hard to find the best prices I can. There are some ways to shop efficiently.

When buying hard goods or fish that are being shipped to you, fill the box. This means buy enough to hit free shipping points or to reduce what percent of the total purchase price for things delivered is from shipping.  With fish this may mean organizing a group buy.

Just this fish keeper's opinions here, as always.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation