Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 21, 2018, 10:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second try QT  (Read 2301 times)
Gregg

United States United States

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« on: April 03, 2016, 06:26:31 PM »

I bought sick fish and put them in my QT some weeks ago.  My fault of course, I did not know some white clouds were from a feeder tank. I introduced probably pure ammonia as well as their pathogens. Despite frantic attempts all died.  OK, the new set up.http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l517/newvlvtnr/001_zpsrbcsw4gd.jpg
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l517/newvlvtnr/002_zpss0w0x9wr.jpg
This may seem to violate QT rules but I had to work with things going on. I had a huge surplus of guppy grass, and I had to lessen the # of baby platys in a 2.5  gallon baby tank.  So I used treated tap water, a filter from my 15 long (my healthiest tank,)  the Najas g, and transferred 5 platys from a group of nine.  They were not happy but are coming around.  The water parameters are ph 7.6, Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, and nitrates 5ppm.  I know that is bound to change and I'll test often. I did a 20% water change and intend to one every other day depending upon my readings. I hope to order some white clouds and replenish my display tanks.  This seems like an environment that bodes well for new fish. I'm learning, and as Pat Mary and everyone else says a QT is essential.

Gregg
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »

I guess I am confused (again).  A QT tank is used to isolate new fish while you observe them.  It is a temporary setup.

A 2 1/2 gallon tank is not appropriate for any fry for any length of time.  Do you realize how tiny that is??  Basically, all you have done is upgrade the container for fry to a larger (I hope) size.  None should remain in that 2.5 gallon container.  This is not a QT.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Gregg

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »

Hi Pat Mary,

The 2.5 has had no fish deaths other than immediate post birthing in 6 months. It is what I had, and it was that or let them be food for shiners.  I do water changes often and they are doing well. Actually,  it is the only tank my frog bit has survived, done well even.  They needed more room, thus finally they have it, or some do.  Yep, that is a QT.  Why not?  I intend to use this as one. Again, I use what I have and with fish bought from more reputable dealers than I have access to locally I am sure it will work.  Some people do use a cycled and set up tank as a QT.  This has no substrate and other than being set up I see no reason why it can not be used like I desire.  The platys I am still looking for a home for, I think I'll have more success with larger fish than small as they are.  For now they are where they are.  Why only use a QT as a temporary thing if you have a need for it not to be?  I will use it that way when I do finally find a home for the platys.  I also am only using fish, other than them, in this tank to eventually go in the display tanks. To sum it up, it is my solution for now.

Gregg
Gregg

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »

Actually, to sum it up, I know the correct purpose of the QT, but am doing the best I can, and if it doesn't work, it's all on me.

Gregg
Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »

I am not faulting you for using a tank for your fry.  They need to be in something bigger that 2.5 gallons.  As far as I can guess they have been in this since sometime in January.  I think that is too long for a group of growing fry (especially platy which are a larger livebearer) and they may have started to stunt.   So, it is good that they are in a larger tank (how big is this tank, anyway?).  

My question is this.  Are you planning to leave the fry in this tank or will they be going to either your 15 or 20?  I know you plan to rehome them but that hasn't happened so you have to deal with what you have.  lf your intent is to leave them in this tank until or if ever they are rehomed, what will you use for a QT when you want new fish?  Or, are you planning to not get any more fish?  I am not being sarcastic.  I truly would like to know what your plans are.

Gregg

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »

Hi Pat Mary,

I have learned so much from you, Badman's staff and followers let me assure you. Think of what I have done since joining Badman's. I don't live in a perfect world, if I could I'd have it as you wish.  I live by this age old dictum that has served well through good times and bad: Use the resources available to you, adapt and adjust, and improvise.  Those baby platys had begun to stunt, some have been there since September.  But remember, that is what I had.  No, I honestly think that eventually I'll find a home for them, optimism is my usual nature.  That is a 10 gallon tank. That guppy grass is one of favorites because even I can grow it. But it's growth sneaks up on you.  My plan is to, after every quarantine that succeeds, to wipe down the sides and leave it cycled with at least several occupants.  If I needed to medicate I will once again tear it down and disinfect it.   In this particular case, I can't see where introducing fish to this environment can be detrimental to the new fish.  As I said also I hope that getting fish from a reputable source must help in avoiding diseases, statistically at least I would imagine. The combo of platys, guppy grass and QT just happened to coincide.

Gregg
Pat Mary

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

I will not mention QT to you again except for this post.  Your idea of QT and mine are quite different.  In my mind, you think of QT as putting some fish...any fish...into a container that they  have not been in before.  My idea of it is to observe them for any disease or parasites that they may have.  Taking fish that you have had since September and putting them into a larger tank, to me, is not quarantining them.  It is upgrading their tank size. 

When you get fish from some source, even one that has a great reputation, those fish still need to be quarantined because they have gone through a stressful period.  That quarantine period may not take as long because of the fantastic reputation of the breeder.  But they still have gone through stress and you or anyone else cannot say that they didn't.  They are not used to your maintenance routine and you or anyone else cannot say that they are.  So, I stand by my statement that any and all new fish must be quarantined.  You may go for years without a mishap but will, at some point, be bitten.  Do what you want.  But, when  your new fish come down with something, remember this thread.

I do not say something lightly.  It's just too bad that some people think that I do.

Gregg

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »

No, the platys just needed a larger home until I do find a permanent one for them, they essentially have been living in a way too tiny QT, so since I had a clean and unused tank I put some in there  Other than fish I DO and will observe in this tank, before they go to display tanks, I treat this as a QT.  It just so happened as I said that things tied themselves in a knot and I'm doing what I need to do. I know your idea of a QT and it's mine as well. If I have to medicate I'll do so, and like I say, break the tank down.  I also see using it cycled for some time since I need several species of fish and it's only 10 gallons.   In my mind, since now I have no fish other than the platys in there, and will not have any except what I buy to isolate, it serves the purpose of a QT. One young woman who sells fish has 30-50 cycled tanks, she uses as a QT,  at any one time. She too medicates if need be and than breaks them down, just what I intend to do if need be. Trust me, when I find homes for the platys, have no need for more fish, find a willing person who desires my excess guppy grass, I'll have the barest QT again you ever saw.

Gregg
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 10:48:30 PM »

Gregg,

So, if I understand your point and situation, by keeping your juvenile Platys in that tank until they can get re-homed, is also keeping that tank cycled and ready for new fish that may need to be in QT in the future?

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 123 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Gregg

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »

Yes russ, simple as that. If I could progress through the bare container to plastic plants and keep it at that I would. I know what is supposed to be a proper QT thanks mostly to Pat Mary, who got me using one in the first place, but again, with what was going on I'm doing it how I am now.

Gregg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's