Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 30, 2017, 05:31:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help!! Unknown fish illness?  (Read 758 times)
Alyssa
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a silver dollar and he is over 10 years old. I recently changed his tank and moved it to a different room (this was over a month ago). He seems very healthy, he eats and swims fine, he seems energetic and doesn't act strangely at all. Just today I noticed his face looked weird; its like his skin around his face and gills is transparent and underneath is white. It looks very weird, like there's milk in his head almost. I took a picture and stopped at the pet store this morning to see if they could recommend me any medicine or anything. They told me that as far as they knew, it didn't look serious and was probably due to age. I'm sure they're right but I'm still paranoid. I was planning on getting another silver dollar but I want to make sure this is all resolved before I do. His gills almost look a little red now. Is this anything to be worried about? (It's all underneath his skin. There is no growth or swelling. His eyes and mouth look fine, and he's eating normally.)
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A silver dollar's lifespan is 10-11 years so your shop is probably right.  The idea of red in the gills bothers me, though.  You might want to take readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrats and give them to us so we can see how healthy the water in your tank is.

For future reference, the silver dollar is a schooling fish and needs others of his own species with him.  Here is the profile for them:        http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile23.html            Also, please note what tank size is needed.   Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's