Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2017, 06:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tankmate Sugestions  (Read 2525 times)
Blaze

United States United States

« on: April 12, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »

Well, my 55 is doing great and my wife is coming around to the whole fish keeping thing.  proud

A friend of mine is giving me her old 20 gallon setup, and my wife has agreed to let me set it up provided I tie it into my current sump system (my 55 has a 25 gallon sump with a ridiculous amount of biological filtration and heating capacity and it's on a drip system which allows me to keep the water parameters dead level and very clean. Not to mention hardly any maintenance.)

That said obviously quarantine is going to be huge as this is the same system as my established 55.

Where I'm looking for help is the stocking plan. I'm letting my wife plan out this one and so far she wants the following.

1x Male Betta
12x GloFish Tetras
8x Panda Cory
4x Otocinclus Catfish

I'm thinking I have room for another centerpiece fish? She likes bright colors (as you can see from what she has picked out so far), Any suggestions/ideas would be great!
She wanted Blue Rams but I told her she couldn't have those with the Betta.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing your ideas. :-)
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:55:36 AM »

Is the 20 gallon a 20 high or 20 long?

When in doubt, do a water change.
Blaze

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »

Haven't seen it yet but based on her description I'm thinking it's a 20 high.

How would 20 high vs 20 long impact my stocking options?
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »

A 20 high is 24 inches long and the 20 long is 30 inches.  It makes a difference with schooling fish because they need room to swim.  When I wrote that reply. I had it in my mind that the glofish were danios and not tetras.  Danios need a longer tank but you can get away with a 24 inch with the tetras.  I would reduce the quantity to about 8 though.  Another thing to consider is not keeping a betta with them.  These tetras can be fin nippers and that could be a big problem.

Blaze

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:28:16 PM »

Ouch... The betta with the glo tetra is the entire reason she is considering letting me do the tank...

Any suggestions for other really colorful centerpiece fish?
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »

Does she really have her heart set on a centerpiece fish?  There would be plenty of activity in that tank without a betta.  If she really wants a betta, then I would change the schooling fish to another species.  The only problem with that is that glofish are SO colorful that other species might seem pale to her.  But, there are plenty of colorful and peaceful fish that could live with a betta.

Blaze

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »

We have the Glo Tetras in the 55 now (With Gourami's, which nobody indicated would be a problem when I was planning that tank. Haven't noticed any issues yet but the tetras have only been in there a month.) . But she wants to do a "Glo tank" to better show them off (Black sand and background, with bright/glo decorations). Also She really wants Panda Cory's but she didn't discover them until after the 55 bottom was stocked. So those 2 had her thinking about letting me setup another tank (it being free also helped). However, a Betta has been the #1 fish she has wanted from the start, so when I told her she could get him too, that really sealed the deal...

Anyways, If we left the Tetras where they are, what really colorful options would she have to go with a Betta?

On the other hand, If we moved the tetras to do a "Glo Tank" any ideas for tank mates? Something bigger/showier for when the white lights are on.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »

Hi Blaze,

Can you describe what you mean by a "drip system" for your sump?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Blaze

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

Fresh water is being dropped into the system around the clock and excess is overflowing to drain. Therefore I am perpetually doing water changes. Currently I'm doing the equivalent of 20% daily water change.

Once the 20 is tied in the total system will be nearly 120 gallons of water, and I have biological media and system flow capacity to support up to 500 total system gallons. (Tho I don't intend to push it much higher, it's mostly this oversized simply to minimize maintenance.

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:57 PM »

That is similar to a system I had  in the past. It was for greatly over 104 total gallons though. It was for a bit over 1000 gallons (w/sumps) and I had a dedicated hot water heater w/inline thermostat. For two 55 gal display tanks, I admit that I did manual changes to those.   

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Blaze

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »

Just to clarify. Glofish Tetras are a genetically color modified variant of White Skirt Tetras;
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile40.html

Their behavior is the same as the unmodified fish.
Pat Mary

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »

I realize that.

Blaze

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

Just figured I'd throw that out there, as most places I've been researching people seem to get GloFish Tetras confused with Glowlight tetras, which is a significantly different temperament. I wasn't assuming you(Pat) didn't know, you haven't steered me wrong yet. :-)

So... What should I do? Are my Glofish Tetras even ok staying in my main tank? (since I have gourami's)

Any suggestions for options to show my wife? (something to go with the tetras instead of a betta, or something to go with a betta instead of the tetras)
Pat Mary

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:38:37 AM »

How about bleeding heart tetras:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile71.html     with a betta?  or cardinal tetras:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile11.html     with a betta?  If the tank was a 20 long I would look at rummy nose tetras:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile38.html     or red phantom tetras:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile147.html     with a betta.  I don't know if what I have picked are colorful enough for your wife, though.

I would watch the glofish with your gourami's  and see if there is a problem.   I don't remember what gourami's you have but if their fins are not flowing too much they might be ok.

Blaze

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »

Thank's for the ideas. :-)

The Gourami's are Three Spot Variants (Golden male and 2 Opaline females).
Blaze

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

What about a female betta with the GloFish? Would that be an option since their fins aren't as flowy?
Pat Mary

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »

You could try it.  If it doesn't work, have a backup plan.

Blaze

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »

Update and a Question.

The Tank is coming along. Got the stand built, still needs finished (needs stained and sealed still). I've got all the materials and should be finishing the build in the next few weeks. (I'll share pics once it's done) I've changed plans and I'm going to put the tank on an oversized DIY canister filter. It will have similar biological and mechanical capacity to the sump on my 55 and add 5 gallons of water volume. (I decided that I would rather have separate systems to avoid any cross contamination if I have any illness down the road. In the meantime I've got the biological media cycling (fishless) in a bucket so it will be ready to go when the tank is.

Stocking Plan:
1x Male Betta
8x Panda Cory
12x Cardinal Tetra

How does that sound?

So I was reading about cardinal tetras in the Badman's profile and saw that they are sensitive to pH and like soft/acidic water. This tank will be on a drip system and my tap water is 7.8 pH and moderately hard. Will these fish adapt or do I need to do something to modify my pH?

If I need to modify, how low do I need to get it?

Is there anything I can add to the tank which will consistently modify my pH (wood, bark, moss???)? My drip system will be changing around 5 gallons a day, so anything I add will need to be able to keep up and keep things stable.

I'd rather not spend the money, but would a RO/DI system correct my pH issues? Are there down sides to these types of systems?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation