Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2018, 11:36:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: amano shrimp?  (Read 1775 times)
RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »

Hello everyone,
About 3/3.5 years ago I bought 6 cherry shrimp and 6 "algae eating shrimp".  There were lots of baby shrimp for a while, which must have been the cherry shrimp, but eventually they died (eaten?) off.  I hardly ever see my algae eating shrimp because my tank is well planted.  I have listed in my notebook over the years that I could see 5-6 occasionally which sounded about right.  2 are quite big now, close to 2 inches.  A few days ago my daughter counted 12-14 and today I was about to see 9-10.   I know that Amano or algae eating shrimp are not able to reproduce in fresh water…   Is there another type of shrimp that looks very simiar that I could have that are able to breed in fresh water?
I tried to attach a picture but it is not working.

Thanks
RAHT

* shrimp.jpg (8.89 KB, 240x320 - viewed 205 times.)
RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

I see that my picture actually did work…I'll try posting a better one.

* shrimp2.jpg (32.09 KB, 550x734 - viewed 196 times.)
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »

I keep amanos, those look similar if not the same. They will spawn in fw and the initial stage is a larva which must make its way to a saltier environment. There is undergoes changes and it then will return to fresh water. However, I have heard some talk of successful reproduction in hard water tanks. I cannot say these are true.

This link may help http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
RAHT

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »

Thanks, for the link.  I thought there were two possibilities, either they aren't amano shrimp or at some point I bought more and just dont remember! 

RAHT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's